Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Obx LSD fit in a d/r trans?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bluto5

bluto5

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Kankakee, IL

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hello all.

I saw Numbchux LSD fitment issues in his thread and was wondering if the Obx front LSD had been fitted to a d/r trans(Rx specifically).

I'm getting close to picking one up and have a single range trans if need be. I'd hate to find out the hard way that it won't fit tho!

Thanks, Sam

#2 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

It should be fine in an RX trans, as the stock low range gearset in that is a 1.19:1, which is much smaller. My Carbonetic front diff has pretty good clearance from the 1.19 gearset, it's the 1.59:1 low range swap that's causing the problem for me.

#3 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

SubaRube Goldberg

• Gold Subscribers
  • 903 posts
  • PNW

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

I have an RX trans with XT6 3.9 ring and pinion installed along with 23 spline stubs (from a S/R 5spd) behind an EJ22. So far several thousand trouble free miles. I would like to open it one more time for the 1.59 swap as soon as I find a donor trans.

Numbchux - I am following your other thread, I hope you find a resolution. Good Luck!

It should be fine in an RX trans, as the stock low range gearset in that is a 1.19:1, which is much smaller. My Carbonetic front diff has pretty good clearance from the 1.19 gearset, it's the 1.59:1 low range swap that's causing the problem for me.

#4 el_freddo

el_freddo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Lancefield, Vic, Aust.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:04 AM

My Carbonetic front diff has pretty good clearance from the 1.19 gearset, it's the 1.59:1 low range swap that's causing the problem for me.

Yeah the 1.59:1 low range will have an issue clearing the OBX diff - you'll have to shave some of the diff housing off the side opposite the ring gear side (hope this makes sense).

This has been done in a mate's liberty with a H6 powering the EA internals with the 1.59:1 low range and the OBX front LSD. It's going well too. And this is what's being done with my gearbox too. I SO can't wait to have this box in Ruby Scoo!

I believe this has been done in other gearboxes over here but I can't be sure about that and I've not been around them to say how they're going. But if this setup is holding up to the H6 I don't see why it would be an issue - so long as you don't abuse it, just like any gearbox.

Cheers

Bennie ;)

#5 mcgarvey2001

mcgarvey2001

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Kalispell

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

Your shaving to thin the flange, yes? How much do you need to shave?

#6 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

No, the flange side is fine, it is the shoulder of the diff case on the end opposite the flange that is running into the gears.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users