Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy RS 1992 driving issues

Hi all,

I currently own an auto 1992 RS Legacy. The issue I am experiencing at the moment is when I am cruising in the car I find that my revs will drop a couple of hundred then couple back up, sometimes repeatedly for a few seconds. I have no issues when accelerating, only when cruising. Further from this I have noticed that it has started idling at lower revs in drive, (about 500 when it used to be about 1000). I recently had to change the rubber pipe off the top of my blow of valve because it had a split, (this is the pipe I have my T joiner inserted into, with pipes off it into the manifold and boost gauge). This issue has basically cropped up since then.

Also before this issues began, I find that where my turbo would usually kick in, (about 3800revs) that it now doesn't really feel like it is doing anything. My car still gets up to and sits at 8psi on my boost gauge, but it just doesn't have the same kick that it had.

If anyone could give me any insight into these issues or wants anymore information then it would be much appreciated!

Edited by hurro

I'm assuming it's an auto, cause it sounds like your trans is on its way out. Check your trans fluid and diff fluid. They should be clean and up to level, and the trans fluid should not have a burnt smell. Yes, smell it. Your trans is actually bogging down your engine.

Edited by soobie_newbie67

You'll probably find better help over on LegacyCentral, the stateside guys didn't get the turbo EJ20s till the early 2000s I believe. Can't really help you on your issue except I'd probably change the trans fluid and diff oil and see if that makes any difference.

Good to see another Kiwi on here too, give me a bell if you're down Christchurch way anytime soon!