Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale 2wd- I need rear subframe help.

Hey guys, back again after months of not being here. How're you folks doing? I have a 2wd Loyale with a major issue. I live in Ohio and my car's rear subframe snapped by the left rear wheel. Do you guys know of a way to fix it? I tried to slide a new tube inside of the broken piece, thinking that I could have it welded in, but it hangs up on a weld that is being a total douche about me getting it out of the way. I'm thinking that it's going to end up needing to have a whole new subframe made, down side being, my shell is melanomaed to hell and back on the rear. If there are any Ohioans out there that have a EA-82 shell they'd be willing to come off of, I'd swap all the good parts from mine onto it (which is almost everything-except the left rear strut). My car only has 107,000 miles on it so scrapping it and getting another type of car with a whole list of new problems is really a no-go to me, mine runs too great as it is. I'm open to inventive ideas, up to and including sticking my engine and trans into a non-sube shell i.e. a Cavvy or a Metro or Festiva or something along those lines. So any options that you guys could come up with that in mind would be welcome also. I was sorta thinking of front wheel drive pipe buggy along the lines of a neutered skeleton Brat at some point. I just need temporary for right now though. Thanks in advance and I'll post some pics up of what's going on with the car once I figure out where I stuck my camera.

Why not swap out the dead frame and replace it?

A 4wd one will fit in it's place if 2wd units are hard to come by, just use your swing arms and replace the frame that's damaged.

Got any photos to help show the damage, I hope I've got it right from your description.

And I'm unfamiliar with the word: melanomaed...

Cheers

Bennie

Thanks for the replies. Sorry that I'm late, I live about 4 miles out of town and I have to walk in to get internet. I would just swap the subframe but the I haven't been able to source one anywhere around here, 4wd or otherwise. I forgot my camera at home again. Scott I pm'd you.