Ultimate Subaru Message Board

good price on 4wd D/R?

2wd tranny is going bad and I think I am going to do the conversion to 4wd D/R unless I can get a real cheap 2wd (maybe). Can't find one around here or online. I'm running a stock 1989 DL wagon, not turbo, EA82. I've read many of the threads for this conversion, any have specific advice for my vehicle? I'm a first timer...

Can somebody tell me a what is a good price to pay for a 4wd D/R tranny for a EA82 SPFI non turbo? Does anybody have one they want to get rid of? I'm in PA. Thanks.

I'm just finishing up my 2WD 5speed to 4WD DR 5speed conversion so I happen to have a 2WD 5speed laying around. If you want to pay shipping I can certainly send you my 2WD 5speed. It's in great shape. I never had any problems shifting into gears (the synchros feel fine) The shifter is precise and not sloppy at all.

I paied $75 after taxes and EPA fees for my dual range from a local U Pull yard. The install is pretty much plug and pray i mean play :) Some things that are not plug and play is the rear diff hanger. THere are not holes in your 2WD body for the bolts on the outside of the hanger that hold it to the body. You can easily tell where they go however (it is beveld in where you nee to drill) There are also no holes for the center carier bearing bracket on the 4WD driveshaft. I have not crossed that bridge yet; putting in the tranny this SAT and then I'll do the drive shaft. So far the plan is to bolt on the dirveshaft, have someone hold it up while someone else drills holes through the unibody and we hang it with fat washers, bolts and nuts.

Shoot me an email if you are interested in that 2WD tranny. morganm @ mnchopshop . org

Thx!

I'm interested in both the 2wd and the 4wd tranny as this is my daily driver and I would be stretching myself to do this coversion soon. Throwing in the 2wd till I can make time would be great. If the price is right. MorganM, I would definitely pay to have it shipped. or maybe we could work something out to drop it off with someone coming to the carlisle show. I can pick it up from there no prob.

MilesFox, which one do you have, is it in good shape. definitely interested and I can come down to pick it up.

thanks guys... russell