Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will XT rear LSD fit on Loyale?

It is a bolt in install but you have to make sure that the rear diff ratio matches your transmission diff ratio. if I am not mistaken, Loyales generally have a 3.90 rear diff, unless it is a turbo model then it should have a 3.70 diff.

keep in mind that the turbo transmissions will require a 25 spline front axle shaft and the non turbo will have 23 spline

a direct swap would be a 3.9 VLSD from a legacy SS(I think)

the VLSD is a viscous type, it uses a silicone fluid instead of clutch packs.

they are kind of hard to find but then again so is a LSD rear diff.

Welcome to the forum

btw the search function will yield a lot more info than I could ever provide.

this subject has been covered in depth countless times.

TP

The full time 4x4 transmission isn't worth swapping, the rear LSD certainly is. You take the limited slip carrier out of that diff, grind a bit on the housing of your loyale diff, and put your ring gear on the limited slip carrier. It's not complicated work. If you can pick up that diff cheap, do it. They sell for $300 on ebay to the datsun guys.

A dual range 2wd/4wd transmission out of a 86-89 gl wagon/3dr coupe/sedan is what you'd want.

A quick discourse on Subaru Drivetrains.

All EA stuff (Loyale, GL, XT, RX) from 1981 to 1994 (last year of the loyale) is swappable. You just need to match turbo vs non-turbo. There may be a few oddballs here and there, but they're very rare to come across. As long as its EA81/82 it'll cross over.

The first gen Legacy stuff is a little different, but most of the diff stuff is the same, or similar enough it can be made to work with little effort.

So, as for your question of will this diff fit here and that diff fit there, as long as you match turbo with non-turbo and keep track of your diff ratios and generations, you'll be fine.

A little searching goes a long way, plus there are several FAQ's located through the forum that deserve some reading.

Twitch

• 7 months later...

where can i find a 3.9 LSD?

you won't find one.  there's no models they came on or were typically found on...actually it's debatable they actually existed...i mean, they did but they are so rare you might as well consider that you won't find one...everyone that's ever said they saw one has never been able to show, prove, or post a picture of one.

you'll have to buy one  $800 new or find someone that built one and is selling one.

for practical purposes it's likely you'll need to assume that all the LSD's are 3.7's.

• Like 1

That's a viscous coupler lsd rather than the clutch and ramp type in the RX's and XT's, and they are inferior. They came in the early legacy SS's they came in later Outbacks (4.1 and 4.44 ratio), and they came in WRX's(3.54 or 3.9), but the lockup is not very strong and they have to slip a bit before they do anything. The clutch type ones provide grab instantly.

This is why people put the clutch type carrier from the 3.7 ratio diffs into a 3.9 ratio diff. Little bit of grinding, check the backlash on the gears, and you have what you need.

Edited by WoodsWagon
  • Like 1

you won't find one.  there's no models they came on or were typically found on...actually it's debatable they actually existed...i mean, they did but they are so rare you might as well consider that you won't find one...everyone that's ever said they saw one has never been able to show, prove, or post a picture of one.

you'll have to buy one  $800 new or find someone that built one and is selling one.

for practical purposes it's likely you'll need to assume that all the LSD's are 3.7's.

thanks. I found a 3.7 in an rx in a junkyard, now I didn't waste my money, the inside will be able to go into the 3.9 housing, correct?

xt6 had a 3.9 LSD optional.

Remember people, not all turbo cars had LSD diffs......actually most didn't.....the LSD had to be ordered.

what he said - the VLSD's are everywhere.

sorry i meant clutch type LSD's, as the title suggests "XT type" meaning EA82, not EJ VLSD stuff, which as he mentioned isn't that desirable.

xt6 had a 3.9 LSD optional.

Remember people, not all turbo cars had LSD diffs......actually most didn't.....the LSD had to be ordered.

in theory it was an option, but none have one and they are next to worthless as a "source".  i mean check them, but i wouldn't go out of my way assuming it's a good chance. if one did, it would be an outlier. no one on the subaruxt.com forum has ever had one, none of my 2 dozen XT6's had one...nor the other dozens i've looked at and never bought.