Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Doors and hatch won't unlock

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joalrabr

joalrabr

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Raleigh

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

I'm driving a '96 Outback Legacy. The only door that will unlock with the key is the drivers side door. This includes the hatch door. From searching earlier posts it looks like I need to check the contacts for the locks behind the door panel. How hard is it to pry off the panel? And do I just use a screwdriver to pry it off?
Thanks, Joan

#2 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,300 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

the 95 legacy will unlock all the doors when you unlock the driver door with the key.
the 97 outbacks and GTs only unlock the driver door when you unlock with the key.
i don't know about the 96 outbacks, but my guess is they are like the 97.

do you have a separate lock / unlock button on the front doors?
does it unlock all the doors when you operate it?
if both are yes then they are working correctly.

Edited by johnceggleston, 28 October 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#3 joalrabr

joalrabr

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Raleigh

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

All of my doors normally unlock with the key when unlocking the drivers door. The manual lock on the drivers door inside also normally lock and unlock all the doors. Normally I can also lock all the doors with the key in the drivers door lock. When I turn the key I can hear the doors trying to unlock so I assume it's not just a fuse. Thanks

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,733 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

Probably poor connection or frayed wire in the door cord.

The panel is easy to remove. A small cover behind the release handle with a philips head screw behind it, a cover about the size of a quarter under the door pull handle with a large philips head behind it. Remove the gusset cover on the upper front corner (the black triangle), or tweeter cover and tweeter. The flat gusset cover you may need to pry off with a flat screwdriver. The tweeter cover should just pop off with your fingers. Then pull the edges of the panel sharply to pop the clips loose all the way around the panel (there are about 8 - 10). The middle one in the front is a press-through design and will probably go flying so cover it with your free hand to catch it.
Grab the rear edge and pull up and out until the tabs clear the top of the inner door skin, now rotate the rear edge down and front edge up slightly while pulling out to dislodge the panel from the release handle.

Takes less than a minute once you've done it a few times.

#5 joalrabr

joalrabr

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Raleigh

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

Thanks, Joan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users