Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Doors and hatch won't unlock

I'm driving a '96 Outback Legacy. The only door that will unlock with the key is the drivers side door. This includes the hatch door. From searching earlier posts it looks like I need to check the contacts for the locks behind the door panel. How hard is it to pry off the panel? And do I just use a screwdriver to pry it off?

Thanks, Joan

the 95 legacy will unlock all the doors when you unlock the driver door with the key.

the 97 outbacks and GTs only unlock the driver door when you unlock with the key.

i don't know about the 96 outbacks, but my guess is they are like the 97.

do you have a separate lock / unlock button on the front doors?

does it unlock all the doors when you operate it?

if both are yes then they are working correctly.

Edited by johnceggleston

All of my doors normally unlock with the key when unlocking the drivers door. The manual lock on the drivers door inside also normally lock and unlock all the doors. Normally I can also lock all the doors with the key in the drivers door lock. When I turn the key I can hear the doors trying to unlock so I assume it's not just a fuse. Thanks

Probably poor connection or frayed wire in the door cord.

The panel is easy to remove. A small cover behind the release handle with a philips head screw behind it, a cover about the size of a quarter under the door pull handle with a large philips head behind it. Remove the gusset cover on the upper front corner (the black triangle), or tweeter cover and tweeter. The flat gusset cover you may need to pry off with a flat screwdriver. The tweeter cover should just pop off with your fingers. Then pull the edges of the panel sharply to pop the clips loose all the way around the panel (there are about 8 - 10). The middle one in the front is a press-through design and will probably go flying so cover it with your free hand to catch it.

Grab the rear edge and pull up and out until the tabs clear the top of the inner door skin, now rotate the rear edge down and front edge up slightly while pulling out to dislodge the panel from the release handle.

Takes less than a minute once you've done it a few times.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...