Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to homemade--

Suba_GL_87

I used a round prybar from a cheap set that was tapered at the end. But I also took a chunk out of most of the pistons on that blind side. I was scrapping the engines anyways. But it wasn't the best method.

Perhaps the flat end makes a significant difference.

Pull all the wrist pin plugs. remove the outer clips.

Now look all the way thoughthe holes in the block....see something.....the holes go all the way through both cylinders! If you are careful, you can squeeze a dowel or punch past the rod of the "up" piston, and tap the backside of the pin on the "down" piston and just knock it straight out. Rotate and repeat from the other side for hte other piston.

Use a long dowel or punch.....but it needs to be skinny......not much thicker than a pencil. it takes a touch of angle, so make sure you aren't gonna wedge it in. Wooden dowels are great for this and cheap from the hardware store.

I used to use a slidehammer and a hooked bar......still do for EA's

But with EJ's it's just easier to knock em straight out through the opposite hole.

i took a j bolt from a battery tie-down and used a vise to squish the hook until i could force it through the hole. i then threaded two nuts and a washer in a sandwich at the other end. clamp vise grips up there and smack with a hammeer. start out tapping and increase kinetic transfer until wrist pin comes out. it wasnt easy, and i couldnt re use the j bolt but ive made a few of these and pulled a bunch of pistons. i now strap my battery in with a ratcheting tie down:D

• 2 months later...