Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Circuitboard, repair or replace?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

Posted Image

So, any ideas? Or am i stuck getting a replacement instrument cluster for my '85 brat? Thought about glueing a piece of copper to bridge the gap.

#2 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

If you're handy at all with a soldering pen that's an easy fix, could probably just use solder to bridge the gap, but a short piece of wire is probably a better idea.

Where are you located, maybe someone around you could help.

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,746 posts
  • WV

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

good eye finding it!
like he said that failure is easily fixed, not in a harsh external weathering environment so that's an easy one....but what caused that and is there other damage may be the next question?

#4 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • North ID

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

yeah, that is the result of a problem.

You need to find the cause, otherwise it will just happen again.

#5 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

good eye finding it!
like he said that failure is easily fixed, not in a harsh external weathering environment so that's an easy one....but what caused that and is there other damage may be the next question?

I was replacing bulbs. Slipped off the perch i had it on resulting in that scratch, so no electrical problems. I was thinking solder but wasn't sure if it would be a sufficent conductor. No iron but i could probably use one anyways. thanks guys.
And i didn't figure the scratch out till i had it back together, PITA! I swear i cause more problems for myself than necessary!

Edited by jonas, 31 October 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#6 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,746 posts
  • WV

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

oh cool, yeah just solder or repair it. i bet both ideas you mentioned would work just fine for something that simple.

#7 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,619 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

Yes, that is a very easy Fix if you know how to Use a Soldering Pen or Soldering Gun, but I Kindly suggest you to use the Soldering wire which has rosin Core to do the Job Fast, to avoid more damage to the Board due to overheating.

Old Subies' Clusters are Fast & Easy to Repair, specially if you compare them to some Newer car's Clusters, in example: My Wife's car hasn't a "Circuit Board" ... instead, it has a thin Plastic "Paper" with the electronics printed on it, and it is just placed "Over" the Cluster's back Plastic... Such a Nightmare: is as fragile as a butterfly's wing.

Kind Regards.

#8 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

Coo.... :cool: I've soldered before so i should be good to go. Looking forward to working guages.:headbang:

#9 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

Yay, it"s working!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users