Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 vs EA82 struts

Numbchux

Can an EA82 front strut fit in an EA81 knuckle? Vice Versa?

I was looking up front struts at work today, and noticed that the EA81 fronts have a substantially shorter stroke than EA82. My Brat front struts are junk, but I have some decent used EA82 ones here.....

Pretty sure ea82 struts are a larger diameter where they need to fit into the knuckle....

Not they are the same.

They fit the knuckles the same.

mounting to the tophat is a bit different....I think you the EA81 has a nothced hole, while the EA82 has a round hole.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of both knuckles.

Comparing the two, the EA81 struts will not fit the EA82 knuckles, they kinda do but the diameter of the strut is slightly smaller than the hole so I would not feel comfortable using the EA81 struts on a EA82 knuckle.

As far as using a EA82 strut, I feel it would be a little tight but fit fine.

I have a set of both knuckles.

Comparing the two, the EA81 struts will not fit the EA82 knuckles, they kinda do but the diameter of the strut is slightly smaller than the hole so I would not feel comfortable using the EA81 struts on a EA82 knuckle.

As far as using a EA82 strut, I feel it would be a little tight but fit fine.

Does this mean that the EA81 car that I have been using EA82 knuckles on for that last few years is something I should be concerned about? The difference that I found was the angle where the strut attached (affected the camber) and the inner seal diameter on the axle.

Does this mean that the EA81 car that I have been using EA82 knuckles on for that last few years is something I should be concerned about? The difference that I found was the angle where the strut attached (affected the camber) and the inner seal diameter on the axle.

No. your fine.

Like mentioned above, they are the same.....but individual knuckles, in a "free" state can have varying diameters.

But they are indeed the same.

and thats what the pinch bolt is for. If you look at the gap on the back top side of the knuckle (where the strut inserts into) Theres a fairly decent size gap where the pinch bolt tightens.

If you've been running them and you have not popped a strut out of the knuckle, I doubt you are gonna have any issues in the future

• 11 months later...