Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater mystery solved! (I hope)

Heater on the '85 brat has never really worked. Blower is fine, would blow piss warm at idle then at whatever the outside temp was driving. Been freezing my rump roast of every winter i've had it. I've flushed it, checked all the control devices, thermostat, scoured the Forums, everything to do with heat to no avail. Well this winter i decided "I WILL FREEZE NO MORE!" and decided to bite the bullet and replace the core. Wasn't looking forward to that! Started draining the radiator, so far so good. Went to remove the hoses from the heater core at the firewall. Old hoses, firmly seated on the core inlets, mostly tore them off but i expected that and was going to replace with new anyways. Got the top one off only to see this!

PA310064.jpg

YOU THINK THIS MAY BE MY PROBLEM?!?

DUHRRRR... Glad i haven't gotten to much tore apart. I'll put back together and see what happens.

Edited by jonas
spelling

You know there is a easer way to replace the core besides taking the dash out, ect....I have done this on quiet a few brats.Working on the drivers side down by the gas pedal I took my dremal tool and after unhooking all the plumbing,temp comtrol switch ect.I cut away the plastic "face"that held in the core.Once that was removed I gently pulled the core out ,like a radio or something.Cleaned any leaves ,ect ,then smothed any sharp or ruff edges and slid in the new core.Installed a few zip ties and some caulking and bingo....bring on the snow!!! This way I saved hours of work and in my eyes did a good job...I didn't replace the temp adjuster as it got banged up removing it.Come summer i just put it on defrost or even clamped one hose closed to keep me cool...Just my 2 bits worth...stay warm,Toddnick

... Gonna hold onto it for a bit to see if that crimp was my problem. ...

That crimp was New for me, I've never seen something like that Before... But I haven't serviced EA81 Heather cores too.

I Believe it is good Idea to Try with it Straighten... if nothing changes, crimp it back again and install the New Heather Core.

Good Luck!

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

i take the core and remove the end tank with a torch and then i use a small flat thin stainless strap i got from a rad to clean cores then resolider the tank use 50/50 lead tin soilder and lots of flux preshure test in pail of water and the heat will work takes me about 2 hours but worth it my 79 wagon will cook you out. and just for fun i took the heat elements out of 98 outback and put them in my 79 seats heated seat 79 wagon is nice in - 20

You know down by the drivers right foot is the thing that adjusts the heater core temp.Its a piston thing that regulates how much coolant that can flow through.I have seen those stuck in the cool position and with some oil and mussel work got it opened all the way.That helped alot.and there is a 1/8 horizantal rod down there that came loose causing a flap to not open and that too has "pulled a rabbit out of the hat" and got the heat back.I have a junked heater box thing that is great to study when heaters go bad...Have you just tried to see if one of the tubes going to the heater core is warmer than the other.That would tell you your flow was restricted.... Good luck ,stick with it......winters a coming!!!! when all else fails break down and get a new core......well worth the cash!!

Edited by old sub freak
old one..
  • Like 1

STILL BLOWING COLD!!!!!!! WHATTHE************!!!!!! IT'S SIMPLE ************ING TECHNOLOGY!!!!!!

New core-check!

New hoses-check!

Heater control valve operational-check!

All hoses hot to the touch-check!

Stuck fingers in to feel heater core. it's hot-check!

Is there something by the blower that regulates how much fresh air is allowed in? 'cause something being stuck open is all that's left that i can think of.

Down on the drivers side ,above the heater core is a semi horizontal rod ,1/8" or less.The end towards the seats clips onto a plastic thing.The other end (towards the firewall) controls a 4 inch square flap that will let the air move where it is spossed to..Boy I hope this makes sence.I had a similar problem and i happen to stumble on that flap not moving.I think the threaded end that pops into the plastic thing was "unpoped"haha.and not holding the flap where it should be.I fixed mine by using a zip tie to hold it open..hmmm so mabey the plastic was broken or i would have just snaped it in....Hey I was a few years ago...One good thing to have around is a "Cadaver" heater...the whole deal.I kept one and it is a gold mine when you come up against what is happening here..You can see what everything is spossed to do. Anyway I hope some of this makes sence and you get some heat!!!Hang on,you must be close!! :banana:

Edited by old sub freak
hey I'm learning here !! sorry..

Thanks OSF, I'm a *********************. I know exactly what you are talking about. I forgot to re-attach it. It's blowing nice and toasty now! I'll know fer sure when I actually take it out on the road tomorrow and put it thru it's paces.