Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tire Replacement on 91 Loyale

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NICALM

NICALM

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LIMA

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

This might be a "noobi" question, but here it is.
I need new front tires on my 4WD wagon. Tread is almost non-existant. Rears look decent for now. I last replaced all 4 tires 5 years ago. Not sure why the fronts wore worse than the rears. Can I replace only the front 2 for now? Money's a little tight right now so trying to save a buck. I've heard on Subarus, that you should always replace all 4 at the same time. Is this rule of thumb just for AWD? Can't afford to screw-up the drivetrain since this is my only daily driver. As we all know, winter's around the corner, so I need new rubber soon. Any insight would be great.

#2 leniac

leniac

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Chile

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

if the rear tires are good... then keep it... but watch the pressure of the tire too.

remember that they need rotation every 10.000km(front-back, not side to side)... this save you a lot money.

I hope this help you in the future.

#3 djellum

djellum

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • Vancouver WA

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

for you I would make sure to replace tires in pairs or all 4, and keep matching pairs on each axle (2 matching tires on the front, and 2 matching on the rear). It wont matter at all unless you engage 4wd, which you shouldnt do unless your on mud/grass/gravel/snow anyway. you shouldnt engage 4wd on surfaces that arent soft or flexible or things could bind up.

#4 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,535 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

It will be fine, just be smart where you use 4wd. Put the new tires on the back and the old ones on the front for winter.
New tires in front and worn on back is recipe for oversteering into a tree when it's slippery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users