Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1985 XT

Vortex

Recently picked up an XT from a guy who lives not too far from my house, and there are a few things that need doing to it before it can pass a Roadworthy, so I decided to take it on as my project car.

1.jpg

Just a few pictures of the body:

2.jpg

3.jpg

Excuse the lopsided number plate, only one screw is holding it in :P

4.jpg

There are a few stone chips in the front, very minor

5.jpg

The only downside, most of the dash surround plastic has broken into several pieces. I do still have them all, however. Including the other air vent on the driver's door side.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Also, the high beam switch isn't currently functioning, so a floor switch has been installed as a way around it for the mean time.

10.jpg

Another minor problem with the interior is the fabric across the head rest on the back seat has come off somehow. It's still in one piece though, and the foam underneath has been taped up for now.

11.jpg

Otherwise, a very neat and tidy car. Not such a great picture but it shows the rest of the interior has been pretty well looked after (the carpet is barely worn at all, I was blown away at how thick it actually is meant to be.)

12.jpg

Anyway, I'll post the report from the Roadworthy up tomorrow when I have more time.

Edited by Vortex
Resizing of images.

Thanks, Turbone! You saved me a buttload of time :D

Here's the report from the Roadworthy, not sure why he didn't write anything about the dash or glovebox considering they're worse than the seat. Oh well.

IMG_14691.jpg

Good news is that I've managed to track down the bump stops, struts, CV and Rack boots, control arm bushes and link pins for the sway bar, all brand new. They'll be picked up in a few days time when they arrive in store. So I guess now all I can do is wait at this point.

The driver's seat has been taken to an upholsterer, got quoted $45 to replace the vinyl on the bottom of the seat, next to the controls for height adjustment, etc. So that's all being taken care of as we speak. Very good.

As for the rust, I was told by the mechanic it was quite bad, and I instantly shat a brick, but when I got it home the old man and I had a look underneath and it's a tiny hole about 50mm x 15mm. So that's a huge load off of my mind.

Oil leaks and the door hinge will have to be professionally taken care of, I don't like the idea of messing with those gnarly door mechanisms, and oil leaks suck.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'll post again when I get either my driver's seat or all the parts. :)

Edited by Vortex
Sideways image :S

im interested to hear what struts you got?

normally all you can get here in australia are leone struts which are higher...

Im currently wrecking a 85 model, so if you are chasing some parts let me know...

One thing that may be useful is the back seat upholstery and foam, its good and already removed because I needed the frame.

cheers.

Edited by nncoolg

im interested to hear what struts you got?

normally all you can get here in australia are leone struts which are higher...

Pedders #8806 struts. They're actually listed under Subaru Vortex in their parts finder and not Leone, so I'm guessing they're the right height. Otherwise I'll just have to make do I guess :o

Ahh, that would explain why I can't find anything in my control panel... LOL.

And yeah, I was expecting the inside to be abused to hell, considering it went back and forth between the guy I bought it off and a family from Cairns a few times. But when I came round to his place to check it out, I discover he has 3 that he actively spends time on. I was shocked and turned green with envy, haha.

That would be fantastic! I might have to hold off for a few days, the bank account will be a bit sad after paying for all these parts :P But that really would help loads. You don't happen to have a glovebox catch too by any chance?

That's alright, I think some L-Series wagons have the same catches, I'll have to get on that after I get all this stuff done first, haha.

Nah I plan to keep the head unit stock, there's a 6-stack CD player installed in the boot, with an FM transmitter attached. Sounds pretty good for a transmitter so I think I'll just keep that the way it is. I'd rather have an awesome dash than an AUX cable, lol.

I'll go take a photo of those struts right now, too!