Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA 82 Water Pumps

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Quidam

Quidam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,514 posts
  • USA

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

If you have an engine that you care about, don't use the metal impeller water pumps on these engines. They're simply not as good as a cast iron unit. AC and Turbo cars came with them new. Here's the OEM Atsugi, pic from a current ebay seller. 110mm pump $48.00, 104mm pump $54.00 shipped. These are just for reference. Companies now are selling the metal ones for almost that much.
Posted Image

Paraut and ATP both have cast iron too. All of those pumps have better seals and bearings. You don't just throw them away every timing belt change.

Cardone has been available for remanufactured cast iron pumps. Two Paraut pumps I just looked at had that pin in the side. Never opened one up, but it looks like they are made to be rebuilt.

Doug

Edited by Quidam, 03 November 2012 - 05:47 PM.

#2 92LoyaleH4

92LoyaleH4

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Lake City, PA USA

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

I have read that OEM water pumps are the best you can get as they are usaully good for up to 100,000+ miles with no worries at all. I swear i saw they were good til 200,000 with proper care...I have had good luck with the GMB ones...They are made in Japan;)

#3 Quidam

Quidam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,514 posts
  • USA

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

I changed the original post a little. All three pumps listed there are made in Japan. All are very good looking pumps, quality castings.

I've got a short and long GMB set of pump I'll never use. They're new but metal impeller.

If you're looking at listings for these pumps the picture won't show the impeller if they're metal impeller. That's been my experience, if it's cast the picture will reflect that. Want to edit that. Rock Auto AC Delco pump listing for an '86 RX says they're cast impeller but doesn't show it in the pic. A lot of the other listings, no way to tell what they are.

Doug

Edited by Quidam, 03 November 2012 - 06:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users