Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Parking light issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 laseron

laseron

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • norfolk

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

I've been trying to sort out why the parking lights stay on, even with the parking light switch on the steering column turned off. I pulled a fuse out of the keyless remote wiring harness, and the parking lights go out, but the keyless remote is now disabled. I've tried repeatedly to reset the keyless remote, using the programming button on the wiring harness, turning the ignition on, holding the button down until the locks cycle, then pressing the "lock" button on the remote. Parking lights still on. Any suggestions? Replace the keyless entry control module?

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,568 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for an hour or so to try "reseting" the keyless entry module?

If the problem is narrowed down to the keyless entry system, you may want to see if the subaru dealership can plug into the system and see what might be wrong.

#3 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

The trouble with the parking lights may be due to a shorted switch contacts in the switch on top of the steering column. That would be my first suspect at least.

Hopefully you are using the proper programming procedure for your model year and style of car. I would try Josh's advice and disconnect the battery for a hour to see if that helps.

#4 laseron

laseron

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • norfolk

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

The switch on the steering column works properly. I'll try disconnecting the battery for an hour. Thanks.

#5 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

If you're pretty sure it is the keyless module, maybe if you can figure out which wire out of it is activating the parking lights, just cut that wire. Unless you really like/need the parking lights to flash with the remote or alarm for some reason.

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

The switch on the steering column works properly. I'll try disconnecting the battery for an hour. Thanks.

Even though the switch seems to work ok there may be a short inside it. Even with the switch in the OFF position power runs through it to different contacts to pass power on to the light switch.

#7 forester2002s

forester2002s

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 482 posts
  • Vancouver Canada

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

... even with the parking light switch on the steering column turned off

At the risk of asking the obvious, is the 'virgin switch' on the top of the steering column accidently switched to the ON position?

#8 forester2002s

forester2002s

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 482 posts
  • Vancouver Canada

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Bump.
Any resolution on this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users