Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Larger fuel tank..anybody try it?

El Presidente

Recently when I pulled my tank to do some nearby welding, I noticed theres quite a bit of room around it. My diff is dropped 5" and I'm gonna run a glasspack on the far outside of where the stock muffler was. By just looking at it, it looks like I a 20gal. tank would fit in there. Anybody try putting a bigger tank in?

87 GL wagon 4wd 6" lift ej22'd

Josh

On the old GLs didn't the 2wds not have the indent for the rear diff? Or was that the second gens? Either way I'm sure it increased the fuel capacity a bit.

Do 2wd ea82's hold more fuel? Can somebody confirm? My 4wd tank has a big indent for the diff, but it only looks like I'd gain a gallon or two if it wasn't there. I thought about pounding the indent back out, but I didn't see it going well in my head, and I'd only gain at the most 2 gal. However, if my tank goes south for some reason, a 2wd tank might be a good replacement.

make yourself a fuel cell.... shouldnt be a huge stretch from what you did to the back of your wagon :D

you could baffle it better than our tanks came from the factory too.

Thought about making a tank, and I might do it if a stock one from another car/truck or universal is more expensive(probably, but less hassle...maybe). Like you say though, it would give me a chance to make custom baffles/size/sending unit/mounting. This route is sounding better and better.

Josh

you could cut the sending unit mount off your old tank, and reuse it, to keep the wiring end of it simple, because the sending unit's resistance is already perfect for your gauge. only thing you might have to do is make a longer rod for the float, and customize it till it accurately reflects how much fuel is in it.

then, copy the fuel pickup and return, and you are set. there are tons of fuel cell building supplies out there.

also, race cars these days use fuel cell foam in the cells to curb weight transfer. it could be the cheap and quick way to baffle your cell proper.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, but also don't see why it would be necessary. For the most part, you can fill it, drive it to the ORV Park, wheel it all day, and then usually drive home on the same tank.

Me, I was always trying to lose weight in my Soobie wheelers, power to weight, stress on the axles and the like. I usually tried to run them with about a half a tank or less to save as many pounds of cargo as possible.