Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Emmisions nightmare!!!

Hello everyone,

I have a 1982 Brat with an EA81 engine, Hitachi carb and bunch of vacuum hoses and emissions crap. I've been trying to get it running right for some time now and was just recently told that most of the emissions systems can be removed. If this is true, can somebody tell me what can go and what can stay. It would sure be nice to eliminate a bunch of crap and make troubleshooting easier. Help!!

SB

you can dump it all. all you need is vac boost to the master cylinder, vac advance to the dist. vac to the choke and one vac line to the carb. Do a search for emmisions removal, there's a write up that I did some where that walks you through it.

I'm with GD on this one, you need to undersrand the system before you go changing it. The truth is that if its all in good order it wont hurt performance, I understand about simplifying and troubleshooting, but if done wrong it could cause more trouble than it fixes. When I stripped it all out of my ’87 wagon it was early fall… later that winter I found that the warm air intake was important to keep the carb from icing. :rolleyes:

Gary

The vac controled heat selector is on the EA82 engine. the EA81 dosn't use manifold vac to open and close the baffles in the heater core. Subiemech is right about the EGR, I make cover plates for the intake manifold and block it off all together, but I've run them both with and with out. PCV will need to be conected to the drivers side valve cover but thats easy.