Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone ever replace heater hose nipples in the block?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CNY_Dave

CNY_Dave

03 LL Bean H6

• Members
  • 1,450 posts
  • Near Cortland NY

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

I was under the car changing the oil pan (rusted enough to leak) and I saw one of the nipples that press into the block (actually the lower oil-pan) right next to the thermostat is fairly rusty. I have confirmed subaru cannot get the part.

Anyone ever replace one of these somehow?

I assume if no replacement is available I would have to remove the bad nipple and tap the hole for a threaded nipple (hmmm, steel or brass?), unless I could get lucky and find some steel line (big brake line?) that could be a decent press-fit.

Tapping the hole for a tapered nipple would be nerve-wracking, given how thin the boss in the casting is right there. Would also have to make sure it didn't introduce a restriction as the only coolant flow before the thermostat opens is through that line.

#2 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,403 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

i think,

that nipple is actually on the water pump. it has to be since it is not on the t-stat housing / cover. a short 'ell' shaped hose connects it to a metal pipe that is bolted to the block and runs back and up to the heater hose.

the other heater hose nipple is on the coolant crossover pipe under the intake manifold. both can rust.

but neither is in the block. i don't know how hard it is to remove the lower one with the engine in the car. i never knew it was there until i did the head gaskets and by then the engine was already out.

Edited by johnceggleston, 08 November 2012 - 02:08 PM.

#3 CNY_Dave

CNY_Dave

03 LL Bean H6

• Members
  • 1,450 posts
  • Near Cortland NY

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

The H6 has the water pump more towards the middle, driven by the timing chain so the nipples actually go directly into the huge oil-pan casting right under the lower hose/thermostat. They do actually go into the rear housing of the water-pump which is cast into the lower oil-pan.

If the H4s are different I guess that's why I never heard of them being replaced before.

Edited by CNY_Dave, 08 November 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,085 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Those nipples are usually fairly thick wall tubing. If it isn't leaking you might be able to wire brush it and paint it with rust preventive primer/paint.

Drilling and tapping should be fine. I would probably use a non-pipe thread and coat the threads with pipe dope or Indian Head shellac before installing the nipple to prevent leaks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users