Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Took some pictures of my 1979 BRat

rippin

Hell yeah man, It was your comment saying that my brat was "one bad rump roast" that kept me going.

That might have been auto corrects way of saying YOUR BRAT IS AWESOME!!! :). sadly, I don't remember what I meant to say instead, but what came out had prett good results ;)

• 6 months later...

Updates and Issues

I picked up the new engine:

iw40fb.jpg

I put the engine in the brat and after 3 nights in the shop I was able to take the brat for the first drive in quite some time. 

Here is a picture of the Brat up on the lift

iwr6gj.jpg

Edited by rippin
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

A little bit of history- I had been running a donor engine in my 79 Brat while I rebuilt the original. The rebuild parts came from Clegg Engine online and I did Crankshaft, pistons rings, gaskets, main bearing. 

Engine is fully rebuilt and I began the swap this week. I am using the flywheel that has always been with the car, and I am also using the same Bell Housing that has always been with the car. I got a new clutch and pressure plate which I am fairly confident is installed correctly.

The problem- When I bolt the engine to the trans the engine will not turn over and seems to be very bound up. If I back up the bolts and give the bell housing a gap of 1/16 of an inch the engine will turn over smoothly just like it is on the bench. 

has anyone had this happen? any ideas on what could be binding the engine so badly with just the last snug on the bolts? 

Thanks.