Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Northeast 4WD compact car adventure

I am looking for members here from the northeast who would like to join us for some "soft roading." That's mild off roading that a stock 4WD compact can handle. Mostly just dirt fire access and seasonal back roads.

I would like to get a few compact 4WD cars together for such activities. I have put together a few routes in my spare time and have a small group of like minded enthusiasts lined up to go along, including my 4WD Sentra wagon, a 4WD Civic wagon and two Suzuki SX4's.

Boy it would be great to get a classic Suby in the mix as well!

We're not into mud bogging. Just challenging routes where you have to pay attention to stay damage free, but not beyond the capabilities of a compact 4WD car.

B124WD008.jpg

B124WD011-1.jpg

B124WD019.jpg

There are a few streams that flow across the road to make it interesting.

B124WD029.jpg

B124WD021.jpg

B124WD025.jpg

That boulder is about five times the size of the car!

B124WD030.jpg

B124WD016.jpg

If this looks like fun let me know. We're looking to head out for our first ever 4WD compact car tour coming up on Sunday, Nov.25th.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Near Albany ?

Thanks for asking, Mike !!

You're welcome moosens. :)

Our plan is to also bring a lunch along and take some pictures of our group's cars out on the trails.

Yes just outside of Albany. Do you know of any members here that are near the Capital District of NY, in western MA or VT?

Edited by Mike Kamm

4WD008.jpg

I finished up freshening the rear suspension on my wagon and spent this beautiful day [60+ degrees] in the forest scouting more roads for the 25th.

4WD012.jpg

4WD005.jpg

4WD001.jpg

Some of them had remanants from Hurricane Sandy.....

4WD022.jpg

4WD025.jpg

4WD024.jpg

it was a good outing again today. With the newly discovered roads the upcoming meet will be even more fun now.

Also looking forward to running this route after the first snowfall of the year. ;)

Just got home from a 12 hour day and am pleasantly surprised to see all of the new interest here. Awesome. I have an email list I use to streamline info exchanges and communicate with everyone at once. Please send me a note to mikek (at] icerace[dot) com and I will add you to my list and inform you with all of the meet details.

If any of you have walkie-talkies, bring them. We can all set them to the same channel and communicate on the trails.

For you guys coming from further away, no need to get up really early and such. We could meet at 10:00 or even 11:00 am or so. It's the weekend, we want to relax and enjoy. :)

Mike

I'd be interested in this as well. Could somebody post the nearest town to where it would take place? I'd like to get an idea on mileage. My limiting factor will be money...Glad it was post-poned of sorts, that gives me more time to make some extra dough.

I'll keep my eye on this and let you all know!

Edited by l75eya

I'd be interested in this as well. Could somebody post the nearest town to where it would take place? I'd like to get an idea on mileage. My limiting factor will be money...Glad it was post-poned of sorts, that gives me more time to make some extra dough.

I'll keep my eye on this and let you all know!

Awesome. I hope you can join us. We'd love to have "Magpie" come up for the run! :)

We'll be meeting in West Sand Lake, NY to start the tour.

Ahh, that name caught our eye. We are used to the sandy trails of the NJ pine barrens.

On phone now but I'll try to post a pic, Mike. Check my gallery. Should be a shot of it over the NJ sand.

Looking forward to this.

Hoboken is probably not much further than my run. Be cool to have a fellow Subathusiast there incase Jesse bails out. :)

I will post some detailed pics of my 78's underside later. Jesse had it up on a lift recently. You guys can see where I'm at for rust, and general condition. Probably the last year I do this type of riding with it unless I devote time and money - that old formula of divorce. Lol

Ahh, that name caught our eye. We are used to the sandy trails of the NJ pine barrens.
I have some family down there and have toured a few the sandy fire access roads once. Good fun.
Check my gallery. Should be a shot of it over the NJ sand.
Found it. Cool! Haven't seen one of those in years!

I will post some detailed pics of my 78's underside later. Jesse had it up on a lift recently. You guys can see where I'm at for rust, and general condition.

Us salt belt northeasterners that still drive these classic 4wd compacts definitely pay our dues. How does the saying go, "If it was easy, everyone would be doing it." :-p

Although my wagon is 11 years newer than yours Paul, it still needed rust repairs. Here's the quick story on my '89 Sentra.

I got the car for $50 back in '99 or so. It was wrecked and was in a barn for five years getting coated in Pigeon poop and looked like this:

Picture180-1.jpg

In this condition and with 150-k miles on it, surely the next stop would be the junkyard right?

Picture179-1.jpg

I mean, what fool would try to bring a car like this back into shape? :D

Well, I figured the price was right and 4WD Sentras don't grow on trees. So I jumped in with both feet.

Picture177-1.jpg

I had a friend saw off everything ahead of the shock towers with a his gas powered cut off wheel. I secured another wagon as a doner parts car for the project and did the same to it. Then I grafted on the straight front clip. I was able to source the correct colored front end parts from local salvage yards so I did not even have to paint the car! Here's how it looked after many months of work.

DSC00629-1.jpg

Cnv0009.jpg

So all was well and I enjoyed the car for many seasons of ice racing and winter rallies and then guess what happened? No surprise, it started to rust. As usual it just seemed like a few bubbles in the paint, but then after some poking and digging.......

DSC03563-1.jpg

Left side.

DSC03604-1.jpg

Right side.

DSC03565-1.jpg

I kept cutting back until clean metal was found.

DSC03580-1.jpg

Rebuilding the inner structure. Remember this is a jacking point for this car.

DSC03585-1.jpg

Replacing the outer skin.

DSC03584-1.jpg

Panels aligned and prepped for final welding.

DSC03589-1.jpg

DSC03590-1.jpg

DSC03591-1.jpg

Back in shape and ready for more winter fun. But as we all know, more of this will be needed again. It's just a matter of time.

[This was in 2008]