Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to Subaru, just bought a 90 legacy

Hi guys I just bought a 1990 legacy that has the EJ22 motor and is full time 4WD. I've got a few questions about the car.

1: I noticed that when I turn sharp that the car slows down to a stop really quick like the front wheels are stopping it almost. Or when driving and turning sharp it's like the front wheels are skipping. Is the Subaru front wheel dominant or rear wheel dominat for the 4WD? Or is it a 50-50 distribution of power? So I was just wondering if this is normal?

2: How wide of a tire can I run under it? I've found some 205/70r14 snow tires for a fair price but don't want to get them if they are too wide for the car.

Thanks!!

Hello and welcome, and congratulations on your purchase.

1: no that's not normal. It sounds like the vehicle has torque bind. First, do the tires all match model and nominal size and treadwear? That is the first question.

Is it automatic or is it a manual transmission? It's really all wheel drive, it's not really a conventional 4WD setup with a transfer case.

Usually for snow tires you don't really want a super wide tire. You want it to be relatively narrower usually.

Yeah I figured it wasn't normal. Well the tires are all the same size and normal tread wear. And it is a manual trans. So what could cause "torque bind"?

The car is a "full time 4WD" is what it says on the dash and the rear of the car.

I'm not familiar with Subaru's or newer cars in general as my real passion is air cooled VW's.

Thanks for the help so far

Hm that's not good then, on the manuals if the tires all match there isn't much you can do about the torque bind. It has a silicone viscous limited slip type setup with the center differential inside the MT. It isn't serviceable other than to remove the transmission and replace the viscous coupling.

Hm ok I haven't ever seen a 1990 in person, on Joe's site it says 'full time AWD' http://www.cars101.com/subaru_legacy_archive.html

If its a Legacy then its AWD. The marketing terms changed around durring that time frame but its exactly like a 2013 AWD system.

Torque bind would be a bad VC. You can change them without pulling the tranny out of the car. Just drop the back down and pull off the extension housing and transfer case. The VC and center diff will slide out and can be replaced.

GD

• 1 year later...

Well it has been quite some time since I bought the car and it's been great. I am needing to replace the VC now and Im wondering if anyone has any photos or video of the repair being done.

Where do you find these things? I'm searching and can't find them listed anywhere. This is not looking good....

What years are compatible with my 1990 legacy? I'm going to search some more for this part.

Edited by Asesapie

So I am needing some suggestions on where to find a good used VC as I don't have that much cash to fix the car. I am unable to locate any on the internet. Where did all of you that fixed your VC get yours?

What years are compatible with my 1990 Legacy.

If I can't get this fixed soon the car is going to have to go. I need your help.