Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

finally got a legacy turbo

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brysawn

brysawn

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Well guys, I've been looking for a while but I finally found a factory turbo 1st gen Legacy.

I purchased it from the 2nd owner (one family owned it from new)

Its all stock minus a muffler and wheels.

1992 Legacy SS 156k original miles automatic trans

I got it for a good deal because it needs a new trans. Do the turbo models have a certain trans/gearing? Or are they the same as the other 1st get AWD Legacy's?

Posted Image

#2 TajMan

TajMan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

My brother had one just like that, and I re-painted it white.. except his was manual 5-speed.

I actually didn't know they made that 1st gen legacy sedan turbo available with both automatic and manual..

#3 shortysayhi

shortysayhi

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Conifer (outside denver)

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

My brother had one just like that, and I re-painted it white.. except his was manual 5-speed.

I actually didn't know they made that 1st gen legacy sedan turbo available with both automatic and manual..

They made them mostly autos.

#4 brysawn

brysawn

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Actually I'm still not dead set on replacing it with another automatic. The more I read, it seems like the 4AT to 5MT swap isn't too difficult. So if I can source the parts, I may go down that path

#5 shortysayhi

shortysayhi

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Conifer (outside denver)

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

The 5 speeds are rare, but swapping is do-able and not too challenging. I'm pretty sure the trans (turbo manual and auto) have the same gearing as the N/A but they are able to hold more power.

#6 rxleone

rxleone

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

Nice one, I've also got a turbo Legacy, although its an EJ20 which I think is a little more powerful then the 22?

Nice looking ride you've got there, loving the wheels!

#7 wtdash

wtdash

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • N. ID

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

The EJ20's had more power/more boost/bigger turbos as they also had intercoolers - the EJ22T never came w/an IC.

All '91-94 Turbo models had a 3.9 FD ratio - both Autos and 5-speeds. The '92-94 NA/non-turbos were also 3.9.

ONLY the '91 had the rear VLSD - none of the '92-94 years did.

The Turbo trans was stronger - more clutches,etc. to handle the power. Rebuilding it won't be cheap, but if you do, put a trans cooler on it and it'll last longer.

Doing a 5-speed swap is not that hard, depending on your experience. Read up on it HERE.

If you've not done it yet, you NEED to check out the Legacy Central site. It specializes in the '89-94 Legacy model and has a ton of turbo info, too.

TD

Edited by wtdash, 13 November 2012 - 04:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users