Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Harmon Kardon Hiss Over Speakers – Fix?

I have been checking out the new 2013 Subaru 2.5 Limited and have been very impressed. The only negative is with the Harmon Kardon premium audio system, as it has a very noticeable hiss over the speakers up in the dash. The sound gets louder for a few seconds after using the navigation console or even doing other electronic operations, such as turning on the high beams. I noticed this in every car I checked. I thought I was going crazy so I asked the technician at the dealership and he was aware of the problem with the audio system. He indicated that Subaru of America knows about it and is working on a solution. He said it is a capacitor issue. I am hopeful that someone might know when or if Subaru has corrected the issue on the new cars being made? Wanting leather, dual temp, moon roof, nav, etc. locks me into the limited with this stereo. L I really like the car, but don’t love the idea of what might be required to resolve this issue later.

Probably the kind of thing that will be resolved by the next model year. If you can wait a few months it will probably be fixed by then and you can buy a car that doesn't have that problem to begin with, rather than one that the dealer had to swap stereo unit to correct the noise issue.