Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stereo Harness

Looking to throw a stereo in my 87 Hatch STD. I have searched and searched for a stereo harness for it, I can only find ones for DL, GL, and BRAT in that year. Is it safe to say that the DL one will work, such as the link below? Thanks for the help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-Aftermarket-Radio-Wire-Harness-Stereo-Connect-Wiring-SU-8900-/160774145493?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1987|Make%3ASubaru&hash=item256ee2c5d5&vxp=mtr

Wes

disclaimer, I dont know for certain. I havent done a stereo on a hatch before.

that said, I doubt it will work. hatches and brats were continued past 84 while the other models changed to the EA82's. this means that they are basically the same as the older versions of the DL, GL, etc.

I would go older if I were you, try to find one for an 83 or something where its in the same generation as yours.

that said subaru used a common ground speaker system which wont work with new stereos. Id recommend using the plug only for the power/ground/acc and running new wires for speakers. theres write ups about the issue, and again I have only done it on my 87, not your hatch, but something to look out for and research.

Frankly, just leave the factory harness where its at and run new speaker wires and acc and battery memory wires. The factory harness doesn't have a memory wire because its a manual push button radio, the speaker wires aren't any good and the only useful wires would be the switched power. Just as easy to grab a junkyard plug for that if you are wanting to use that wire.