Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Strange coolant leak....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 1997reduxe

1997reduxe

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • Houston

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

Hi all.
Anybody ever see this?
It was relatively cold here last night (for Houston).
I started my car this morning, and forgot something and had to go back inside, and when I came back to the car, there was a small amount of coolant leaking from or off the bottom passenger side of the timing belt cover. (Gotta look at that closer tomorrow morning), but I had to go to a job interview so I chanced it. This leaking was happening while the temp gauge was still very low on the temp, and a little ways down the road when the gauge got to normal running temp i checked it again and there was no leak. And I was able to drive it all the way to the interview and back, 1 hr each way, still no leak, no overheating. And minimal loss out of reservoir. Checked now inside the (new sube) rad cap, and fluid is right up there. It has been losing a small amount of coolant I've noticed over the past month or so, this is post my timing belt install when my guy did change the water pump and thermostat (but i used the new stant one) and i had another leak about two months ago which was the t-stat bypass hose when the shop nextdoor replaced the radiator though it was the bypass hose i found out afterward..
Can anyone suggest what this leak might be? Confused...
Can't afford any more of these darn coolant problems.

#2 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

What year and model Subaru are you talking about?

If it's ~2000-2004 2.5L those are the ones that like to drip coolant out the head gaskets (unlike the earlier models that blew the exhaust into the coolant). My 2000 Outback does that. And right, it's usually only when it's fairly cool outside, and then only for maybe 5 miles until it starts to warm up. And then the dripping stops. Then on cool down it must stay sealed up enough, because it will draw makeup coolant out the overflow tank and the rad stays full (verified by removing cap). So I just keep the overflow tank full to about an inch from the top and I check it every few days to top off.

Edited by porcupine73, 13 November 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#3 rallynutdon

rallynutdon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Reading PA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Same thing happened to me. Couldn't find the leak quickly. Looked like it was leaking out of the timing belt cover. Turns out it was the top radiator hose was leaking at the engine end and dripping down behind the rear timing belt cover so unless you looked real hard, all you saw was it dripping out the bottom. This was a 2003 Legacy 2.5 FWIW.

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,668 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

If its coming from the water pump side it could be a failed water pump gasket, or the thermostat housing is warped.

On the other side I would suspect the upper radiator hose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users