Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

repaird awd center diff

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

was able to rebiuld a expanded awd five speed center diff was able to press it apart and reinstall the clutchs and plates and wire seperators. I thought it was a non rebiuldabble part but it seems to be fixabble. The trans had lost the awd output berring that ruind the front awd berring and that alowded the gear to grab the snap ring and tear it out then awd expanded and came apart. was a mess inside but was repairablle and go's back in today see how it works. The cool thing is that you could modify the awd to make it stiffer or more or less responsive by adding or removeing plates or viscus fliud

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Gold Subscribers
  • 4,936 posts
  • Texas

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

was able to rebiuld a expanded awd five speed center diff was able to press it apart and reinstall the clutchs and plates and wire seperators. I thought it was a non rebiuldabble part but it seems to be fixabble. The trans had lost the awd output berring that ruind the front awd berring and that alowded the gear to grab the snap ring and tear it out then awd expanded and came apart. was a mess inside but was repairablle and go's back in today see how it works. The cool thing is that you could modify the awd to make it stiffer or more or less responsive by adding or removeing plates or viscus fliud

did you put in new fluid? where did you get it?

I THINK I once read an article or maybe watched a video(Australian source IIRC) about testing and modifying those viscous units. A guy had one chucked in a lathe and was testing/measuring it with some kind of torque wrench.

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Yeah they should have special fluid. I believe it's silicone based....

Also note that this only works with the 99+ VC's. The older one's are welded together and can't be opened without destroying them.

GD

#4 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

works very well i took care to not disturb the factory fliud had not come out yet the diff had just poped apart. Not far enuff to loose the viscus fliud may have lost a tiny bitt. But its my belif that a bitt less fliud will make it last longer as they have a problem with overheating and expanding till it pops apart. anyway the awd works perfectly and i torture tested it no slips and awd is right there

#5 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

Is the 99 VCD swappable into the earlier 5 speeds? I keep hearing about welding up the center diff, but if the older style is not openable I dont see how people are welding them.

I dont remember the board members that have done it, but I've seen it come up in some conversations on the forum

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Is the 99 VCD swappable into the earlier 5 speeds? I keep hearing about welding up the center diff, but if the older style is not openable I dont see how people are welding them.

You would have to swap the entire transfer case.

You don't have to weld the VC itself. You just weld it to the spider gears so no differentiation can occur.

GD

#7 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

ahh ok I gotcha. Thanks GD!

#8 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

have mixed and macthed them but like gd says have to use the whole back half the front case and parts are the same have fixed many 5 speeds. I find they break alot more than the autos do 10 5speeds for evry one auto i do. The awd overheats if driven at to high of speed for to long or differnt tires or uneven tire preshure. And lots of main shaft support berrings or run low on oil I must be at 5 speed # 12 for thiss year

#9 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

I agree they are not nearly as reliable as the Automatic's. A lot more fun though!

GD

#10 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

fun is a 79 wagon with a 09 sti engine and 5 speed high low havent driven it in while but after driving a justy around is a bitt more fun and mabee a few more hps than my 1.2 auto justy lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users