Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to remove rear bumper cover?

I have a 98 OBW that needs a new rear bumper cover. My wife is a great lady, just don't have her back up your car, or any car. She can't back up without scraping or denting the bumper cover. The cover looks pretty bad after the last scrape against a wall last week. I feel I may score a better looking cover at a wrecking yard to swap on.

I couldn't find any description on a "how to" to remove the bumper cover, so I seek advise. Thanks for any help.

Duct tape to tree, drive away. Done! :-p

The bumper assembly has to come off as one whole peice, you'll find the bolts that secure it to the frame in the floor of the trunk/cargo area.

Then there are a handful of screws that attach the sides to the bottom of the quarter panel.

Once removed the clips can be removed to take the actual cover off.

Duct tape to tree, drive away. Done! :-p

The bumper assembly has to come off as one whole peice, you'll find the bolts that secure it to the frame in the floor of the trunk/cargo area.

Then there are a handful of screws that attach the sides to the bottom of the quarter panel.

Once removed the clips can be removed to take the actual cover off.

I like the duct tape approach.........sounds much easier then all that unbolting of the entire bumper unit, just to access the cover. Thanks for the info.