Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 cup holder option

One of my only complaints with my wagon is the lack of cup holders. Wanting to keep my car stock looking I scoured the junkyards. Originally I was looking for the pop out type from an mk4 jetta but I happened to find a cd player consol adapter in perfect condition. Bellow where the cd player would go is a slot with a cover over it I flipped it so the slot was on top and then got a slide out cup holder from a newer (95?) Legacy and carefully widened the slot to fit the cup holder. I also had to notch part of the brackets on the cup holder to fit between the screw holes. The I buttered the cup holder mount with jb weld to the back of the cd player mount. There was a slight gap bellow the so I made a fiber glass cover, plasti dipped it and glued it to the bottom of the cup rest. When you close the tray it covers the gap.my next plans for it are to drill a hole on either side in the middle of the cup holder and mount a small light to a dome light door button so when you open it at night you can see where the cup holes are. I think I can pull power from the stock radio back light wire but I haven't tested it yet. Apologies for the lengthy post but I wanted to be thorough since I'm using my phone and haven't figured out how to post pics yet.

There really isn't a good place to put a cup holder. In those pictures, it looks like a cup would obstruct shifting and the radio. Neat idea though!

I'm sure if there was a good spot for a cup, Subaru would've put a cup holder there. For me, it's impossible to drive with a cup without obstructing the windshield, shifter, radio, handbrake, passenger, me, etc. I just never have a cup in my car, so I don't have to worry about it. :D

There really isn't a good place to put a cup holder. In those pictures, it looks like a cup would obstruct shifting and the radio. Neat idea though!

I'm sure if there was a good spot for a cup, Subaru would've put a cup holder there. For me, it's impossible to drive with a cup without obstructing the windshield, shifter, radio, handbrake, passenger, me, etc. I just never have a cup in my car, so I don't have to worry about it. :D

Not entirely true... That's just as good of a place as the placement in the 2nd gen Legacy and first gen Impreza. With a cup you can't see the radio and can't get to the heater controls. At least in the GL he can get to the heater controls. He's in third gear too, plenty of room even with a cup.

Hmmm, I guess I'm just thinking of a large cup and my [sort of] large hands. :-p If I had that setup in my car, it'd probably be uncomfortable shifting. And I always need access to the radio, since I never drive without it, haha. Plus, the only time I ever have a cup in my car is when I go through the McDonald's drive-thru and get a $1 any size large drink. I guess if you have a smaller coffee cup or something, it'd work, better at least. So it varies from person to person I guess. For you, it works. For me, it doesn't.

A long time ago I managed to drive for 20 minutes on hilly roads with this setup. Talk about trying to shift smoothly!

471040_3619618061017_1173748554_o.jpg

LOL. I'm sure we've all gone through the trying to drive very very smoothly dance before. :headbang:

Hmmm, I guess I'm just thinking of a large cup and my [sort of] large hands. :-p If I had that setup in my car, it'd probably be uncomfortable shifting. And I always need access to the radio, since I never drive without it, haha. Plus, the only time I ever have a cup in my car is when I go through the McDonald's drive-thru and get a $1 any size large drink. I guess if you have a smaller coffee cup or something, it'd work, better at least. So it varies from person to person I guess. For you, it works. For me, it doesn't.

A long time ago I managed to drive for 20 minutes on hilly roads with this setup. Talk about trying to shift smoothly!

471040_3619618061017_1173748554_o.jpg

BiMart out here in the NW has these for around $6.00 I just screwed it to the plate next to the e-brake with a sheetrock screw. works like a charm.

j0620454.gif

The '92 parts Wagon came with one of those mounted near the E-brake handle.

Need to get it swapped into my '88 Wagon. Slopped "HOT" coffee on myself a few to many times trying to hold travel mug between my legs.

I would recommend making holes on the flat part of the dash since there is definitely headroom for your 32 oz mac d's fountain cups. if you find some 2nd gen grand ams at the junkyard the cupholder ifts in the ashtray and is round enough to insert in the dash if you used a hole saw with a right angle drill..

If you had a loyale hi topper consoe from automatic seat belts, the fat rump roast fountain cup fits nicely inside.

If you had a loyale hi topper consoe from automatic seat belts, the fat rump roast fountain cup fits nicely inside.

This.

When I'm in the Loyale (Sedan. Has high top console. Guess it was an option?) I just flip up the lid and put a drink inside. It holds a variety of cups/mugs/cans very well.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my solution

5apavs.jpg[/img]

117aivo.jpg[/img]

dxerfo.jpg[/img]

Took a little trimming and wouldn't work in a 5 speed. Remove 4 screws pull it out and back seats folds down just as they should. Nothing modded that it be put back to stock. I have to young boys they love it.

holy ************, no kidding. that is an awesome center console.

i however have one of those door pocket cupholders screwed to the door cards on each side. $5.

only thing that sucks is leaving drinks in the car, you cant slam the door with loose fitting drinks, and if you are a bigger person who requires more room for your legs, it encroaches a bit. fine for me, 5'11" 175lb male, no problem at all.

i however have one of those door pocket cupholders screwed to the door cards on each side. $5.

only thing that sucks is leaving drinks in the car, you cant slam the door with loose fitting drinks, and if you are a bigger person who requires more room for your legs, it encroaches a bit. fine for me, 5'11" 175lb male, no problem at all.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CA00/91125/N0320.oap?******=Search_N0320_-1_3158&pt=N0320&ppt=C0326

Same here, I love it. I only have one because, well my passenger can just hold their drink.

I did notice if you drink red bull it has to be the 20.oz or it will just spill everywhere. but when it does spill it just goes right on the floor.

also when you have your window open in the snow it will slowly fill with water..

^^ yup, thats the exact one i have.

i learned, with can drinks, to face rearward. if you shift nicely, there are far less rearward (accel) g-forces than there is forward (braking) or side (cornering). facing the mouth hole of a can towards the back of the car works well for keeping spills at bay.