Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale - heating controls

Newer owner of 92 Loyale Sedan (2WD, 1.8L, SPFI), Vacuum operated climate controls. 1st heating season: Heat blows out of main vents only until vehicle is driven for ~15 minutes. The pushbutton controls will then start working for defrost or floor (as selected). Car seems very sensitive to slight acceleration where it will then cause the heat to blow out the main vents until you come way out of the gas. This doesn't seem right! I have already confirmed with a hand pump that the actuators work fine. How much vacuum is normal at the Heater switches? Is this a Vacuum Tank issue? Vacuum Leak? Bad pushbutton controls?

How do I get the air to blow where I need it when I need it?? Suggestions/ideas are appreciated???

The stiff plastic pressure tubes that come out of the back of the controls and then plug into junctons, can easily come out of those junctions or become loosened so that you don't have a good seal. Check those. Those tubes lead to controls that operate the levers that divert the heated air flow.

The stiff plastic pressure tubes that come out of the back of the controls and then plug into junctons, can easily come out of those junctions or become loosened so that you don't have a good seal. Check those. Those tubes lead to controls that operate the levers that divert the heated air flow.

Also check the vac lines under the hood.

Cracked, loose fitting hoses can cause that to happen.

If the check valve in the vac line from intake manifold to White canister (on PS strut tower) is bad you'll have the same issue also.

I'm kind of having the same troubles as well, I deleted my CC system and now my defrost won't work :banghead: I've found my lines for the heater controls down by my feet and I seem to be missing line #3 ? Not sure if it was ever there but I have nothing to connect vacuum line #1 off of the white canister too ...

Here's my pic of my vac lines by my feet, no line going in either direction on top

C6FA68EB-BB79-48FB-8DDF-8E6E3990694A-4195-000004F64941B8DB_zpsc91b6760.jpg

Sorry, not trying to thread jack ya here just trying to figure out my heater situation as well !

Based on suggestions...................

1. Using a hand held vacuum pump I proved no vac leaks between the intake manifold and the off button on the heater controls.

2. Proved that the check valve in the vac tank was shot. Added an in line vac check valve ($5 at Napa) upstream of the vac tank.

3. Tested again - I can hear a vac leak in the dash near the Heater Control pushbuttons. The leak is intermittent and is gone sometimes after the car has been driven (car cabin hot). The vac leak is the worst when the defrost pushbutton is depressed. Seems to be gone when heat is depressed. **The added in line check valve did make a difference during this test (when accellerating the heat did remain where selected)**

4. Removed and inspected 4 Vac lines that connect to the back of the heater controls. They were all intact. Applied Vac to each line going to vac motors proving what was what and no leaks. Hoses are labeled:

#1 - goes to floor

#2 - goes to Defrost

#3 - is the vac line coming from the intake manifold

#4 - goes to the Recirc

Based on my findings, The vacuum leak seems internal to the Heater Controller pushbuttons. I don't know why the change in the vac leaks when everything warms up, but that is what seems to happen.

Until I can find a working Heater Controller I have plumbed the 4 vac lines to an access below the ignition switch and will jumper the vac line I need so we can put the heat where it is needed, when it is needed.