Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Forester Door Lock - Dealer only???

Some crackhead broke in popping BOTH locks out of the doors to steal the stock stereo from the 98 Forester. They wounded the metal around the hole on the drivers door slightly but I think I can bend it back. Seriously...they stole the stock stereo!!!!

I can't find any replacement locks at the local parts stores - does anyone know if this is a dealer only part? It really doesn't seem like it should be - aren't the locks a standard size?

i have never seen a door lock popped so i have no idea what damage, if any, it may cause. but by removing the second 10mm bolt and disconnecting the ''rod'' to the latch, you can have the whole assembly, handle and lock.

long term you are going to happier if you get the matching ignition cylinder as well. or have the new lock keyed to your existing ignition key.

Edited by johnceggleston

Thanks guys. The cylinders were mangled, so I went and picked a couple out of the jy off a forester that had the key sitting in the ignition.

My door 'tabs' where the lock sits were a little bent but I was able to straighten them with some curved needle nose and then pushed on them with the old lock in place...and some graceful hammer taps.

I also grabbed another stock stereo and slapped it in to refill that void.

Now it's rockin AND lockin....