Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Quick info needed....EJ25 Compression

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ettev

ettev

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Pottsville, PA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

2000 RS 2.5..........what's normal cylinder compression range? I don't have a shop manual for this style Soob. Do they give a percentage deviation from normal or from cylinder-to-cylinder? Thanks in advance.

#2 Brat78

Brat78

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Richmond Hill, GA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

I am pretty sure in all cars you want no more than a 10 pound deviation from your highest to lowest readings. Be sure to run the test warm, all plugs out, throttle plate open. I don't know the exact spec for your car, but I believe factory is anywhere from 150 to 180 pounds. If you are near or above 150, you are doing great. I know with vw boxers all cylinders above 100, all within 10 pounds of eachother is good to go. You should be better than that though. My unrebuilt ea 71 even still pulls around 155 pounds.

#3 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

I think most of them are around 175psig. They do list a spec for between cylinders iirc maybe 20psig or so? I forget the exact conditions, maybe it was with the engine warm and a shot of oil in each cylinder? I know it says throtttle blocked wide open and battery fully charged.

#4 Brat78

Brat78

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Richmond Hill, GA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

The oil is only used to determine if you have bad rings or valves if you should come up with a suspect cylinder.

#5 ettev

ettev

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Pottsville, PA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Yep, no psig change after squirt of oil points to burnt valve (usually exhaust valve). Just want to be sure on factory psig spec.

#6 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,650 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Per FSM: 156 - 185

#7 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,928 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

with a broke ring land 80-110 with burnt valve 0-80 normal 160-190 i have better results diagnosing with leakdown test

#8 ettev

ettev

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Pottsville, PA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Thanks all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users