Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine cleaning

sario

Best way is to keep it clean.

But if it has never been cleaned, I do a heavy soak with purple power, then pressure wash. Beyond that you will have to add some elbow grease. Old tooth brushes do wonders.

I even do this to customer cars before I do any engine work. I HATE a dirty engine. Impossible to keep things clean as they are pulled apart and reassembled if it is coated in dirt and grease.

• Like 1

Depending on how bad it is you could use Engine Degreaser. It works pretty well as long as the buildup isn't horrible. They offer it in gel, foam, and original. All vary in strength. I usually use the gel, let it sit, then power wash.

I'll give that a shot. I'm really hoping to avoid scrubbing with a toothbrush, although i admit that probably the best way.

I generally just go to one of the self car washes and use their degreaser/wash combo. if you have a power washer id just do it at home, but if you dont it is only $5-$10. spray your engine down with degreaser, let it sit for a few, power wash off.

generally have to repeat a time or 2 so just put 2 bucks in to start it and then put 2 more in once the degrease has sat

If your going the power washing route be careful around the distributor and the carb. I would put plastic bags over both actually and do everything else.

Also pays to be careful around any electronics, and spark plug holes in particular. Even with the boots on water can seep into the holes and cause a misfire under load if not wiped/blown out.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Best way is to keep it clean.

But if it has never been cleaned, I do a heavy soak with purple power, then pressure wash. Beyond that you will have to add some elbow grease. Old tooth brushes do wonders.

I even do this to customer cars before I do any engine work. I HATE a dirty engine. Impossible to keep things clean as they are pulled apart and reassembled if it is coated in dirt and grease.

+10000000000000000

HOT water that's the way to go and the only thing that effectively cuts through really dirty engines.

A close equivalent may be to make sure the engine is warm when trying to cut through that stuff with chemical.

i've got a power washer, degreaser, and purple power and it works okay on some oil.  but for dirty engines - that stuff doesn't even hardly touch it.

• 4 weeks later...

Believe it or not, mix some strong dawn dishwashing detergent in a garden sprayer. Not to sound like a commercial but it really does cut grease and oil really well. That's my easy and cheaper choice, there is also a degreaser they at Lowes ( lumber chain) that is actually better than purple powerand much cheaper. I will have to look at the name of it and repost when I get back to my shop.