Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When do you shift your EA82 5 Speed?

Here's where I've landed on the matter... I'm now shifting consistently at 3350 RPM. I find that winding it out to 3800 RPM seems to be the end of my torque curve. Heading down the highway at 65MPH the tach sits at about 3100.

Then there's the tires...

I've also done the Toyota steel wheel conversion. I still shift at roughly 3300-3500 RPM. The last thing to note is the odometer just rolled over 300,000 miles. I put new timing belts on last year and rebuilt the oil pump. I don't think I'll ever see a lot of 'power' on the road but the car performs to my liking. I can pull a light trailer (trips to the tip) and hauling kayaks, etc. But I take this car for what it is - it's a recreational car. We use it for exploring backroads, adventures and short highway trips. It used to be my highway commuter but my company now provides a car. 

So, for me, shift at ~3300, cruise at ~3000

i still shift my car at  red line, 7k or so in first, just to get my lumbering beast up to safe road speeds, plus without the muffler it pops and back fires and it makes me happy. after first i will usually shift at around 4500 depending on if i need to go any faster.

there is nothing better than driving a slow car fast, i could smoke most of these wrx's in the snow just because i can drive and i aint scared to put it in the snow bank.

I put the weber on about a month ago. The first 2 wells it was so much fun I consistently ran over 4k shifts at WOT. I typically got about 85 miles to 20 bucks gas.

Last week I granny shifted every day. Typically around 2500 rpm shifts with a feather light touch on the gas. I got 70 miles to that tank.

• 1 month later...

I have an 86 GL-10 waggy turbo digi dash fresh rebuild and seal, she seems to like the lower end. Im not affraid to rap'er out a bit but she seems to like 4k max. normal to heavy exel I shift around 3800 rpm, but to really go she likes 4000-4500 max. anymore rpm and it seems to just make more noise, not more power heh... but in my NA ea82 it does like torev up in the 5k range to go.