Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Rear wheel bearings

So the rear wheel bearings in my EA81 offroader are SHOT.As in the first or second time I went offroad with the car that the rear suspension came off they were making noise,that was two and a half years ago.Anyway I went offroading today and the noise and vibrations from the rear on the highway was deafening,and slightly scary.So I figured it might be time to change them.However after seeing how much those solid gold/platinum impregnated bearings run I was just wondering if from now on it would just be better to run to the junkyard and see if I can find a car with better bearings and just swap the control arm rather than actually changing the bearings.I dunno how hard is it to find EA81's in the junkyard that don't have totally shot rear bearings after 30 years?

Pony up for the bearings.

runs $40-$80 dollars.

Or if your like me, and have an EA82 street car, put the brand new bearings in that, and use the old ones from it in your wheeler.

After the third time driving through flood waters in as many months last winter, I decided to just start reusing old bearings for the Wheeler. Of course I have stacks from changing out bearings on EA82s.

Yea go to rockauto and look at prices. Id gladly spend more to have to do the job once rather than pull used bearings out of a junkyard...then put them on your car only to find that they are shot too. Or have to do the job twice. Wheel bearings and brakes and front steering parts are three areas i dont mess with used on.