Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

performance chips

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vic/se

vic/se

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • montreal, qc- canada

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Anyone here tried these and what results have you obtained?
please

#2 Ricearu

Ricearu

Official De-Ricer!

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  • DFW, TX

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

If you are talking about the eBay ones, they are like electric superchargers and simply don't work. Most of them just alter the air intake temperature reading and can waste fuel or damage your engine. What car, engine, etc?

#3 vic/se

vic/se

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • montreal, qc- canada

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

If you are talking about the eBay ones, they are like electric superchargers and simply don't work. Most of them just alter the air intake temperature reading and can waste fuel or damage your engine. What car, engine, etc?

Not eBay! I saw these add GForce I guess where it braggs about 60hp and 3-5 mpg economy.... Those 60 hp would be more then welcome.

I have the 2.5 l on a outback 5sp. and the engine runs quite well it cuts off at around 6500rpm

#4 CoupedUpSubie

CoupedUpSubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Woolwich

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

That is exactly what Ricearu was talking about. They are junk and don't work as well as they say. Don't bother.

#5 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 5,004 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

It's not going to add 60HP that's absurd. A real turbocharger might approach those numbers but not some silly electric computer fan, because, for one thing, the alternator wouldn't even be able to put out enough power to compress say 350CFM air to 8psig, no way.

The chips are similar. In some applications there might be 'hidden power' that the chip can be more aggressive with but I haven't really seen that in Subaru's, at least not the n/a's.

#6 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,605 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

Spend the money on good tires instead. At best, these gimmicks will do nothing. It'll probably make the engine run lean and fry pistons or something.
For more power, I suggest buying a car that comes with a turbo.

#7 vic/se

vic/se

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • montreal, qc- canada

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

thank you all for your help I was suspicious that an electronic device would do so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users