Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Subaru Search and Rescue Thread

Rust

So I decided to start a Thread for people to post Subaru's found and rescued. I'll start this thread off with a 1988 Dual Range 5speed 4WD EA82 SPFI recently rescued from the north woods of Maine. It has been off the road for about 5yrs. When I got it home I drained the gas tank, replaced the broken/rusty fuel lines, tossed in some fresh gas and a new battery......and VROOOOM, started up first turn. Car will need some exhaust work and a new clutch, but for a car that has sat for 5 yrs it's worth the rescue. It also has the original floor mats, radio, and subaru factory optional cruise control. Here are some pics as found, enjoy. and post up pics of your own Subaru Search and Rescue missions!

IMG_0001-3.jpgIMG_0002-3.jpgIMG_0003-2.jpg

Looks solid for something kicking around up here! I picked a loyale last week, unfortunately it is far too rusty to save, but I can now fi swap my ea81!

Speaking of which that was a Rescue... It was brought to VT by a collage student from CA and left for dead when the "transmission went bad" $250 for the car and some shifter bushings later it was driving around.

This was it back then.

1.jpg

And after some love

1-77.jpg

• Like 2

I found this old beauty (1983 GL) on accident one day. i had missed my turn and cut through the parking lot of old business that had shut down, after 2 weeks of searching for the owner and found nothing, i had a friend of mine who is a police officer run the plate and nothing showed up cause it hadnt been registered in over 10 years, so he then ran the VIN and bam, got an address of and sent him over to the house and asked the guy if he would sell it and the next day for $300 she was mine. hasn't been on the road or registered since 1995. man said it was his moms car and he never used it cause it was "ugly"... after a gas tank cleaning, all fresh new fluids, gas, cleaning of the carb, plugs wires dis. cap and button she fired right up on the first shot. barely has 100K miles and im the second owner. is it a 5spd, no rust, interior is near mint except two cracks in the dash. this is how i found it the car.

0318091854-00.jpg

0318091854-01.jpg

0318091855-00.jpg

Edited by 1990loyale
  • Like 1

I've had a few I've rescued, I'll start with my RX.

Before

89RXrear.jpg

89RXrightside.jpg

After

2012Puyallup2.jpg

My 2nd SVX.

Before

blksvx1.jpg

blksvx3.jpg

After

5436734b.jpg

The 93 Imp I picked up. This was the most work I've put into a car yet to get it back on the road.

Before

95imp2.jpg

inside.jpg

After

interior2.jpg

phoenix1.jpg

One of the EA81 coupes I had, no before pics tho.

Goldmember2.jpg

89 XT S/R 4WD.

Before

XT4wd2.jpg

After

DSC00053.jpg

My first Brat, a 85.

Before

84Brat.jpg

After

dscn1525ff6.jpg

The project I'm working on now is a 2002 Fozz. Hit in the front enought that it needed another core support, hood, bumper lights, etc.

Before (Bumper and lights removed by PO, but you can see the damaged core support).

IMAG0805.jpg

IMAG0804.jpg

IMAG0802.jpg

IMAG0811.jpg

New core support

Foz1.jpg

Put back together

Frontendon.jpg

Right now it has a 98 hood, lights and bumper on it. But it will be getting replaced with 02 stuff soon.

Edited by Turbone
  • Like 2

Forgot the 86 GL10 Turbo Wagon I got for free :-p

Sitting in a backyard in east Seattle for a few years, it was pretty ugly. Qman helped me get it home and he was embarrassed to have it on his trailer.

Before

gl10.jpg

GL_10before2.jpg

It cleaned up nicely and my late wife drove it for 4yrs.

GL-10rightside.jpg

GL-10leftside.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up an '86 GL10 Turbo Sedan last night for $250. Needs HGs and has some minor rust but other than that it's in good shape. PO saved the trim pieces that fell off so those were in the trunk and sent me home with enough oil and filters for two oil changes.:banana:

Not going to lift this one. This will be either a complete resto or a rallyx, haven't decided yet.

My 84 GL was a search and rescue. It had sat for 8 years, and i got it for $300. Went through the entire fuel system, new battery, belts, changed all the fluids, new windshield, tires, and she ran pretty good.

It feels nice to resurrect an old machine that would have been crushed otherwise.

80 gl 1600 I bought it for three hundred expected to need a c.v ended up needing carb repair, oil pump rebuild, new rad, struts, shocks, and a lot more it is turning into an entire rebuild. But it only has 130k and glad I got it otherwise it probably would have gone to the grave yard

Pics in here http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=134146

Both my 84 hatch and my 84 brat were search and rescues. Towed the hatch from John Day back to Portland, it was only sitting about four years, but was about to go to the crusher. Pretty much the same story with my brat, but it drove nd was just outside of oregon city. workin on that one right now.

:Flame:

Not so much a search and rescue as more of a humane adoption and rehab:

Front end bashed in, reeking of pot and wet dog, oversized tires that were bald and rubbing the fenders, no stereo, headlights pointed to the ground, cracked windshield, blown suspension, and piston slap up the wazoo...

imagejpeg_2_3-1.jpg

imagejpeg_2.jpg

To this:

Frankenmotor, WRX/STi suspension, WRX interior, WRX rims, UEL to Invidia knockoff exhaust, factory Yakima rack, new headlights/fogs/corners, LED lighting, WRX underseat sub, and plenty more.

20120728_200533.jpg

20120712_124447.jpg

Edited by cal_look_zero

i picked up a 93 loyale out of a back yard in oakland lady was moving and car was on to the crusher that day it was in the parts section on craigslist for 100 and the last day of the add to almost a perfict car front bumper was smashed but frame is stil good and a small dent by the light the lady never got paper work for it the day she bought it off her freind her freind got deported she never registered it it just sat in her back yard for 5 years towed it 40 miles home at about 65 with a vw bug tow bar hooked to the sway bar also worked on the outback and the impreza on short trips to just dont make any sharp turns but anyway it needs a fuel pump as far as i can tell thats it runs with gas down the intake for a little bit will make a nice car some day i would keep it but i hate the automatic seatbealts and it sits in my yard now untill i feel like molesting it or fix it and sell it ill add picks later if i can find them

• 1 month later...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164642&start=12980

The car is somewhere in Arizona, happy hunting!

Here is a link to the thread. You could probably email the guy who posted this on the samba to get an exact location of the car. (pg. 600) from the samba.

PS the samba vw bus hunting thread was my inspiration for starting a subaru search and rescue thread on this web site.

Keep searching...they are out there

Hey I have a Subaru that needs rescueing.Its a 84 Brat called "Rusty, The Rat Brat".Guess why i call it Rusty???I hate to see it go out to pasture.i think with some agrisive fab work someone could get 5,10 years of fun out of it.146,000,T tops and a Weber..the drivetrain is tight.Just needs some some lookin after.So if your lookin for a rescue project check out Rusty" in the classifieds... Thanks,Todd Ps cool VW,someone will jump on that one.cause when there gone......

Edited by old sub freak
old

Hi! I found an old 1980 1.6 SRX. I do not have the before pictures because the car was awful. It was an ugly puke-green color.... the interior was in horrible shape, but on the positive side.... the body was solid without any rust. So far, I have repainted the car, customized the interior to a more classic look, rebuilt the motor, changed the clutch, breaks and tuned the dual carbs. As of now the car is running better than new!

http://s1275.beta.photobucket.com/user/cespo77/library/

Hi! I found an old 1980 1.6 SRX. I do not have the before pictures because the car was awful. It was an ugly puke-green color.... the interior was in horrible shape, but on the positive side.... the body was solid without any rust. So far, I have repainted the car, customized the interior to a more classic look, rebuilt the motor, changed the clutch, breaks and tuned the dual carbs. As of now the car is running better than new!

http://s1275.beta.photobucket.com/user/cespo77/library/

That is a very nice car. I love everything about it, very nicely done. Love the round headlights too :slobber::slobber::slobber: If only we had gotten stuff like that...

I picked this up today, not sure what i'm going to do with it, but I couldn't say no for $200. It is very rusty (as in it has no floors) and the rear shock tower is broken/rusted into the bed.

1-90_zpsacc6631c.jpg

Edited by 1982gl4