Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Subaru Search and Rescue Thread

Rust

Hey good score on the brat,well worth $200 bucks..Who knows,with tommorows technology....we can change rust into..??. I don't know..something strong though..haha And the 1980 Coupe..very nice.. Great paint job.Boy i bet it was hard keeping that green buried... You can easyly tell a duel carb set up..Only 2 wingnuts holding the air cleaner lid down..That car will go on for YEARS...and with great mpg..Have fun with it. You did a exellent job !! Happy Trails,Todd OSF

Edited by old sub freak

That is a very nice car. I love everything about it, very nicely done. Love the round headlights too :slobber::slobber::slobber: If only we had gotten stuff like that...

I picked this up today, not sure what i'm going to do with it, but I couldn't say no for $200. It is very rusty (as in it has no floors) and the rear shock tower is broken/rusted into the bed.

For $200 that is great! I do not know if you are a mechanic or possibly know an inexpensive welding shop in your area? you can fix the floor boards.... I had my car for over 2 years and fixed it little by little.

For $200 that is great! I do not know if you are a mechanic or possibly know an inexpensive welding shop in your area? you can fix the floor boards.... I had my car for over 2 years and fixed it little by little.

I've fixed plenty of rocker panels and floors. I have a welder and plenty of metal around, but I don't think it's worth it. I looked at it again today and the spare tire tray under the hood is 90% fiberglass, and there are massive holes next to the front shock towers. Parts will at least go to fixing some other ones!

I've fixed plenty of rocker panels and floors. I have a welder and plenty of metal around, but I don't think it's worth it. I looked at it again today and the spare tire tray under the hood is 90% fiberglass, and there are massive holes next to the front shock towers. Parts will at least go to fixing some other ones!

Obviously you would know better than I would regarding your decision. Do you think you can find another inexpensive Brat in or around your area? It would be ashame to let this one go especially for $200! But if it's going to be a headache .... I totally understand you.

Obviously you would know better than I would regarding your decision. Do you think you can find another inexpensive Brat in or around your area? It would be ashame to let this one go especially for $200! But if it's going to be a headache .... I totally understand you.

Ive seen the cars hes done and they started out fairly rusty and turned out great. If he says its rusty (for maine) its RUSTY. New England winters are HELL on these old subarus.

Ive seen the cars hes done and they started out fairly rusty and turned out great. If he says its rusty (for maine) its RUSTY. New England winters are HELL on these old subarus.

I do not doubt him. I know first had how the winters are around the east coast. I had a nice old Subaru Hatchback EA71 in New York from when I was 18 to 28 (similar to the one I have now). It started out very nice and almost in mint condition. Over the years, from the rain, the salt used on the roads, the chassis and rocker panel just rotted. In the end, I was very upset because the car, served me so well.... got me through university and ran superb! At that moment I had lack of funds to repair it. In these areas, old Subarus do not exist.

I do not doubt him. I know first had how the winters are around the east coast. I had a nice old Subaru Hatchback EA71 in New York from when I was 18 to 28 (similar to the one I have now). It started out very nice and almost in mint condition. Over the years, from the rain, the salt used on the roads, the chassis and rocker panel just rotted. In the end, I was very upset because the car, served me so well.... got me through university and ran superb! At that moment I had lack of funds to repair it. In these areas, old Subarus do not exist.[/QUOTe

And I forgot to note..... this car was very very well maintained. I am almost very obsessive with my cars! I am the guy who is polishing my car in the middle of a snowstorm, that the water would freeze coming out of the hose! hahahahaha Also any first sign of a leak or mechanical problem I would fix it that day. For example, if you haven't already seen.

http://s1275.beta.photobucket.com/user/cespo77/library/

When any rust would appear, I would fix it immediately.... only for it to return several months later. It was like cancer.

Twin carb? Jealous :slobber: Definitely is in the top ranks for my favorite hatch now. Superb job.

Thank you!!! Yes twin carb..... but remember a liitle more fuel assumption and maintenance. But I have the say, if not pushed too hard the economy is about the same. Mechanics are always trying to convince me to convert it to a one unit. But I always say..... no!

• 6 months later...

Well It is now safely off of the city streets, It has had many owners and luckily it is all in one piece.  Hopefuly it will be back on the road soon. Does anyone know anything else about this EA82 model, like what years it was produced.

1989subaru2_zpsefbcfa36.jpg

• Like 1

so i resuced my 92 loyale from a forest in Estacada OR . it had been
sitting for two years and was about to go to the crusher untill i drove
to work one day and the owner heard my old subaru clicking from a few
blocks away. when i pulled up he told me his ticked louder than that .
then asked if i wanted to buy it for 200 . so after work i went to his
house and picked it up. sadly it had a bad blown head gasket but was
still drivable . at least on to the trailer.

post-47481-0-24880200-1377022923.jpg

post-47481-0-09405400-1377023038_thumb.jpgpost-47481-0-37421400-1377023129_thumb.jpg

both head lights where cracked and filled also

post-47481-0-00283100-1377023208_thumb.jpg

and this is her now

post-47481-0-30591700-1377023475_thumb.jpg

post-47481-0-84388500-1377023571_thumb.jpg

post-47481-0-90380100-1377023780_thumb.jpg

My most recent purchase, a $350 auto brat, with 84k on it. It's pretty rusty, I ripped the rear diff hanger out of the floor doing some light wheeling. There's no floor, or rockers, but I think I can actually weld this back together enough to do some offroading with it... Bed is really solid for one around here.

2_zps6fd8bef6.jpg

3_zpscf323b81.jpg

That brat is super clean for a new england subaru, good to see it getting a new life.  Here is an update on the 1988 wagon rescued from the Maine woods at the beginning of this thread.  Had a lot of problems with DMV but it finally now has a title and is registered.  Still needs a new clutch but I think I can get one more winter season out of the one in the car now. 

Petesubarured005_zps13d26cf5.jpg