Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1998 Legacy Transmission Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 U R A BUS

U R A BUS

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • North East Southern NH

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

I am replacing my transmission in 1998 Legacy GT with a Transmission from a 1999 Legacy GT. the problem is on the 1998 Trans on the top right side, toward the front of the transmission there is some sort of sensor. the 1999 trans does not have this or any thing like it. This sensor sits on the case right behind the torque converter. What do I need to do to ensure this swap over works correctly? Do I need to separate the front from the back and use the 1998 front?

#2 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

Hm not sure what that is, is it one of the VSS's or the ATF temp sensor? Might get more attention posted in the new gen forum.

#3 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,286 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

99 is a different style auto transmission. It's a phase 2, or something along those lines and as you noticed the wiring is different.

#4 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

99 is a different style auto transmission. It's a phase 2, or something along those lines and as you noticed the wiring is different.

Yep, IIR I think the 99 has 2 sensors and 98 only has one.

What made you think this would work?

Because I don't think it'll plug in. It may bolt up (well atleast 4 of the bolts will) but it won't plug in.

#5 U R A BUS

U R A BUS

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • North East Southern NH

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

I didn't notice the difference until I took the 98 one out. I have a crashed 99 that I stole the motor from 2 years ago and everything on that worked fine so I just figured the tranny would work also.

I read on this forum that I need to change the final drive (I assume this is where the axles go) then somewhere else I read about changing the rear differential.

If the final drive is where the axles go into, it is the part that is different. Can I swap this out and use the 1999 tranny?

#6 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

The final drive and rearend must match ratio wise.

But that won't help your wireing problem.

#7 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

The differentials need to match yes so they have the same ratio 3.9 or 4.11 or whatever. Otherwise you'll have permanent terrible torque bind.

Those are both 4EAT Phase I's right (no external spin on filter)? If by chance the '99 is a phase II that will definitely not work in a phase I application.

#8 U R A BUS

U R A BUS

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • North East Southern NH

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

This post is inactive. It has been picked up on the following link.

http://www.ultimates...564#post1147564

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users