Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 Legacy Transmission Help Needed

I am replacing my transmission in 1998 Legacy GT with a Transmission from a 1999 Legacy GT. the problem is on the 1998 Trans on the top right side, toward the front of the transmission there is some sort of sensor. the 1999 trans does not have this or any thing like it. This sensor sits on the case right behind the torque converter. What do I need to do to ensure this swap over works correctly? Do I need to separate the front from the back and use the 1998 front?

99 is a different style auto transmission. It's a phase 2, or something along those lines and as you noticed the wiring is different.

Yep, IIR I think the 99 has 2 sensors and 98 only has one.

What made you think this would work?

Because I don't think it'll plug in. It may bolt up (well atleast 4 of the bolts will) but it won't plug in.

I didn't notice the difference until I took the 98 one out. I have a crashed 99 that I stole the motor from 2 years ago and everything on that worked fine so I just figured the tranny would work also.

I read on this forum that I need to change the final drive (I assume this is where the axles go) then somewhere else I read about changing the rear differential.

If the final drive is where the axles go into, it is the part that is different. Can I swap this out and use the 1999 tranny?

The differentials need to match yes so they have the same ratio 3.9 or 4.11 or whatever. Otherwise you'll have permanent terrible torque bind.

Those are both 4EAT Phase I's right (no external spin on filter)? If by chance the '99 is a phase II that will definitely not work in a phase I application.