Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A little help with a frankenmotor

biggman100

I have been searching here and on NASIOC, but i cant seem to find the answers im looking for to some simple questions, so could someone please direct me to threads that will either answer the questions i have for my exact scenario, or at the very least answer the few questions i have.

Here is what i am looking for correct answers on, so i know what i need to order to get the engine i am working on done.

I have a 1999 EJ25, that blew a head gasket at 78k, and i would rather use the heads from an EJ22, from 95 to 99, that im gonna source from a local yard that has a few of the EJ22's, than to mess with putting new head gaskets in the engine i have, so my questions are as follows:

Do i use the EJ25 head gaskets, or the EJ22 head gaskets? I have read on some threads to use cometic gaskets, but i was trying to source all the parts from rock auto, so would fel-pro or victor reinz gaskets be better? And do i get the gaskets for the year of the engine i have, the 99 EJ25 if i need the gaskets for that engine, or is there a better year gasket for this combination?

Do i use the EJ25 intake, or the EJ22 intake?

And lastly, do i need a special t-belt and component set for this, or will the stock EJ22 t-belt and components work for what i am doing?

I am not looking to build a high compression, or high revving engine, i am mostly looking for something i can maintain myself, without having to buy the tools needed to work on the EJ25.

You have to use the intake that matches the heads, so 2.2 heads and intake.

A stock 2.2 timing belt kit will work, but you have to cut a small timing cover mount boss off the 2.5 block for it to fit. Very easy, it will be obvious when you're ready to install the timing kit.

You must use the 2.5 head gaskets, get them from a Subaru dealer or get the updated Felpro three layer metal gaskets. You will have to drill additional water passages, helpful if you can lay a set of 2.2 head gaskets over them so you can match up the water passage openings.

You have to pay attention to what heads you get. You'll need 1995 2.2 heads for the exhaust ports to match up, but depending on which transmission you have you may or may not have EGR. The donor will have to match.

You must use the 2.5 head gaskets, get them from a Subaru dealer or get the updated Felpro three layer metal gaskets. You will have to drill additional water passages, helpful if you can lay a set of 2.2 head gaskets over them so you can match up the water passage openings.

You have to pay attention to what heads you get. You'll need 1995 2.2 heads for the exhaust ports to match up, but depending on which transmission you have you may or may not have EGR. The donor will have to match.

Thank you for the info. Is there a thread on here that shows how to drill the new heads, such as precautions and such? My car is an auto, so i know i need the EGR heads, and i already have the newer single port exhaust manifold on the car, because when the original EJ25 started pouring water out of various places, i dropped in a 1997 EJ22 that i took out of a wreck at a local yard, and dropped in my car.

Im only looking into all the ins and outs of this build, because i now have 2 1999 EJ22 automatic cars, and while i know the EJ22 can last practically forever with minor maintenance, i thought it would be fun to do the frankenmotor, and then if one of my engines does go, or i happen on another cheap outback with a bad EJ25, i can drop that motor in it, and not have to always go to the local yards and hunt for one. Plus, i do like to mess with my cars, mainly off road, and have been known to blow an engine by not paying attention to what im running over. I now keep 2 spare oil pans, just for that reason.

You don't need to drill the heads, just the head gaskets. I don't have any pictures to offer. I would buy a set of 2.2 head gaskets and use them as a template, you will see immediately where additional water passages will be needed. It sounds crude, but have confidence, it will work. I have 12,500 miles on mine so far and the short block had 175,000 and the heads had 201,000 miles on them when I mated them together.

You don't need to drill the heads, just the head gaskets. I don't have any pictures to offer. I would buy a set of 2.2 head gaskets and use them as a template, you will see immediately where additional water passages will be needed. It sounds crude, but have confidence, it will work. I have 12,500 miles on mine so far and the short block had 175,000 and the heads had 201,000 miles on them when I mated them together.

Thank you for the info. Now a couple questions, first, did you do anything else to the engine when you built it?, and second, wouldnt drilling the head gaskets hurt them in some way?

Someone should make a lifesize template, and then people could print it out and use it.

the questions i have for my exact scenario, or at the very least answer the few questions i have.

Here is what i am looking for correct answers on, so i know what i need to order to get the engine i am working on done.

I have a 1999 EJ25, that blew a head gasket at 78k, and i would rather use the heads from an EJ22, from 95 to 99,.

You actually need heads from a 90-98 EJ22. 90-95 if you want to stay dual port exhaust.

EGR passage can be drilled and tapped in any of these heads, the catch however is that only 95, automatic cars had the EGR equipped 2.2 manifold. So if you want to keep the EGR you need that manifold.

The car will run fine without an EGR, just throws a minor code. Still runs closed loop.

I work on mainly 94 to 99 automatic wagons, and everyone i have ever done an engine swap in, which is up to 7 this year alone, they were all EGR cars. I have never seen an automatic non egr car from those years.

90-94 Model 2.2, regardless of trans....do not have EGR.

EJ18 engines do.

95 Auto EJ22 = EGR

96-98 Auto EJ22 = Possibly? Probably??? although I swear I've seen them without. Maybe imprezas don't? IDK

99+ EJ22 is phase II. Different intake entirely....some EGR, some not. IDK details.