Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

help with noise from rear wheels?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mwills

mwills

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • lincoln, ne

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

so...98 forester, almost 200k miles.

i'm used to a farily loud car as mine has an aftermarket header and exhaust. at interstate or highway speeds recently, i can hear some noise from the back wheels. it's fairly loud. my mind wants to make it into the sound you get from grooved pavement, but it's not that because i can hear normal tire on pavement sounds coming from the front wheels.

i figure it's one of three things, but i'm not a mechanic, hence i'd appreciate some input from the forum: wheel bearings? out of alignment? rear dif?

thanks for any input.

#2 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Those would be all possiblities. Wheel bearings would be a good suspect at that mileage, plus Foresters and Imprezas did have some issues with those in the rear around that time. Sometimes if you shake the wheel hard with your hands you can feel the looseness, but not always (can be noisy way before you feel any looseness).

#3 mwills

mwills

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • lincoln, ne

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

thanks for replying. i drove from lincoln, ne to kansas city and back, over the summer and there was no odd noise that i remember, so this is a relatively new thing. off to the mechanic soon...

#4 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

Sounds good. That would be line with how things usually fail. For a while it works, then later it doesn't.

#5 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,858 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

I would highly suspect the rear wheel bearings. I've done more on earlier Foresters and first generation USDM WRXs then any other years with pressed in wheel bearings.

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

Wheel bearings - they used ball bearings on the Forester and Impreza and the fix is to install the Legacy roller bearings. If you let them go too long you will also likely have to replace the hub.

GD

#7 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,666 posts
  • WV

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Wheel bearings. Have someone sit in the rear to determine which side it is.

#8 89Ru

89Ru

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Nashville TN

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

Loading one side in a moderate-speed turn can also help to isolate which side it is. If a slight turn to the right produces more noise, its the left rear. Another way is to jack up the rear, disengage parking brake, and turn each rear wheel while holding a breaker bar against the strut/coil and up against your ear like a stethoscope. You'll hear the vibration loud and clear if its the wb.

#9 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

If you have all wheels off the ground, rotate each wheel with one hand and place your other hand on the spring coil. Any roughness in the bearing will transmit to the spring and be felt through your hand.

#10 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,535 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

If you have all wheels off the ground, rotate each wheel with one hand and place your other hand on the spring coil. Any roughness in the bearing will transmit to the spring and be felt through your hand.

This can also point you to the wrong wheel, or not actually happen even if the wheel bearing is making a lot of noise... Look a few posts down for my 2000 outback :banghead:

#11 mwills

mwills

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • lincoln, ne

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

thanks forum folks for all the feedback. i haven't had the wheels off the ground yet. one thing i am noticing, is that the noise isn't just at highway speed, as i first stated. it's pretty much always there, just increases quite a bit at 45+mph. you can hear it at 25 and 30 tho too. noise builds with speed and drowns out my usual purr. luckily we are still in biking weather...

#12 mwills

mwills

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • lincoln, ne

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

just following up here. new wheel bearing fixed it. it was just one side, the driver's. it sounded like both to me when i was driving. all is good. almost 200k.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users