Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 visual cues

So, a guy saw me working on my RX the other day and came over to talk to me. He asked if the XT in the carport (an '87 Turbo) was mine as well, and I answered affirmatively, and he asked if I wanted another one. I knew the car he was talking about since I had seen it not long after I moved here a year ago (and it hasn't moved in that time or likely for quite a while previous to that), so I said 'yeah, let me know if the owner wants to get rid of it.'

Anyways, I went and took a closer look at this car, and since it's behind a fence, I can't really go peek through the windows for any subtle clues. On the outside, it has no hood scoop, the tail lights suggest it's a post-87.5 MY, but it's been painted and has aftermarket wheels with lug covers. It has a spoiler, not too rice-y looking, but I'm not inclined to believe it's original. After looking at pics on the internet, nothing visually separates the XT6 from the DL or GL models other than wheels or decals (both of which are gone on this car).

The question: are there any other obvious bits that an XT6 would sport as opposed to the 4-cylinders?

The only thing that drives me to think it could be the XT6 is that its wheels are generic-looking lowrider spoke wheels, which I imagine would be fairly difficult to source for the old 4-lug pattern but relatively easy to come by in the 5-lug style.

yes - easy way is XT6's have headlight washer squirters, small black headed plastic grommet like things poking through the front bumper. XT doesn't get those, only the 6 cylinder.

if it sits one side or front/rear a lot higher than the rest - or really low like "slammed" to the ground, then that suggests an AWD XT6. all AWD XT6's had air suspension and if left to sit they will usually bleed off air and sit really low.

as you know - xt6's are 5 lug and 4 cylinders are all 4 lug.

some XT's have luggage racks on them, all black in stock OEM form, is that the kind of "spoiler" you mean?

Only one correction Mr. Gary.... The 87.5 XT GL10 does have head light washers. :brow: One of the little bonus' of the unicorn. Lol Of course, that has the vented hood for the turbo so that riles out his find. My XT6 left today bound for Portland. Still have the 87 XT & the 87.5 XT GL10.

It's not the luggage rack (wish I had one of those), it's a normal-looking spoiler: nice enough to potentially have been a factory option, but also with enough flair to be a decent aftermarket addition.

As I mentioned, the wheels have lug covers, so there's no way to tell if they're 4 or 5-lug type, sadly; that really would've been the most obvious feature to notice, the lack of which is why I'm here inquiring after more subtle clues.

The tip about the headlight squirters will be helpful. My 87 XT GL10 has headlight squirters so I figured they were common to most years and anything over the DL trim. Maybe I'll mosey back down there and check the bumper at some point.

Also, how are the headrests different? The car in question has square-ish ones with the rectangular hole in the middle, like my current XT.

Also, how are the headrests different?
not sure about shape, i thought they were the same, but the material would be different -XT6 interior fabric was XT6 specific. 88, 89, and 91 are all different though - 88 gray-ish, 89 a very dark checkered patter, 91 a very bright (lots of pink/purple stuff in it) checkered pattern.

• 3 months later...

Are we 100% sure all the AWD xt6's got air suspension.  There are 2 at a junkyard near me that both have conventional suspension, one manual one auto that I've been itching to get the 5 lug stuff off of for a while.

Yes - all AWD XT6's have air suspension.  But they often get converted to coil over due to parts costs and difficultly troubleshooting/maintaining the air system.

The air lines/solenoids/compressor/receiver/drier/computer are often left in place though so you can find those bits if they're left in place or you dig.