Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Which hub puller for a slide hammer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,987 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

What's a decent hub puller attachment for a slide hammer? After looking around thinking of going with this: http://www.amazon.co...F6C/ref=lh_ni_t

My plan is to use a piece of 3/4" black iron pipe, with a cap on one end with a hole drilled to fit a bolt that will attach to the hub puller. Then on the black iron pipe I can put whatever weight I want, standard 'home' barbell weights fit perfectly on a 3/4" pipe. So I can put 5 lb, 10lb, 25lb, whatever I want on there.

Then screw a pipe flange on the other end for the weights to slam against.

I did something like this with a slide hammer, but it was a small slide hammer and it ripped the threads right off the end of the slide hammer. But - it did pull the hub out no problem.

#2 shortysayhi

shortysayhi

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Conifer (outside denver)

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

http://www.summitrac.../parts/otc-7394 i bought this one and it works great, id recommend this over the one you are looking at simply because you can put it on any pattern of hubs. it took me maybe 5 min to get a hub outta a car that had a front impact so parts were somewhat bent, but worked great and all i needed was a hammer.

#3 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,987 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Hm nice thank you for the suggestion. That does look like a nice one. Pretty much right now I have only soobs, plus I have an axle I need to pull on a 6x6 ATV that happens to have 4"/100mm 5 lug hubs which surprisingly is the same as my soobs.

#4 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,902 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

The attachment you originally posted is pretty much what mine looks like but t threads onto the end of my slide hammer. It came in a slide hammer kit I bought from Matco and I use it all the time. Not sure how you would figure out the thread pitch on the attachment to verify if it'll thread onto your slide hammer though.

#5 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,987 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for the assistance. I ended up going with the OTC 7208A. It worked well. I used a bolt and some 3/4" npt black pipe fittings to hook it up to a 18{ length of 3/4" npt pipe. Then I put a 10lb barbell weight on it and a pipe plug. It worked very well and pulled the hub out after maybe 4 hard pulls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users