Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which hub puller for a slide hammer?

porcupine73

What's a decent hub puller attachment for a slide hammer? After looking around thinking of going with this: http://www.amazon.com/OTC-7208A-Front-Installer-Puller/dp/B0002SRF6C/ref=lh_ni_t

My plan is to use a piece of 3/4" black iron pipe, with a cap on one end with a hole drilled to fit a bolt that will attach to the hub puller. Then on the black iron pipe I can put whatever weight I want, standard 'home' barbell weights fit perfectly on a 3/4" pipe. So I can put 5 lb, 10lb, 25lb, whatever I want on there.

Then screw a pipe flange on the other end for the weights to slam against.

I did something like this with a slide hammer, but it was a small slide hammer and it ripped the threads right off the end of the slide hammer. But - it did pull the hub out no problem.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-7394 i bought this one and it works great, id recommend this over the one you are looking at simply because you can put it on any pattern of hubs. it took me maybe 5 min to get a hub outta a car that had a front impact so parts were somewhat bent, but worked great and all i needed was a hammer.

The attachment you originally posted is pretty much what mine looks like but t threads onto the end of my slide hammer. It came in a slide hammer kit I bought from Matco and I use it all the time. Not sure how you would figure out the thread pitch on the attachment to verify if it'll thread onto your slide hammer though.

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the assistance. I ended up going with the OTC 7208A. It worked well. I used a bolt and some 3/4" npt black pipe fittings to hook it up to a 18{ length of 3/4" npt pipe. Then I put a 10lb barbell weight on it and a pipe plug. It worked very well and pulled the hub out after maybe 4 hard pulls.