Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Smiley..........

monstaru

yeah, I already did the math on what I need/want. The roundeye 27w are for my head lights(spot 30degree , 1980 lumens each). I Already have them, I paid the price in your link for a 4 pack :) . I also already have the interior, and bed light.

I have some other stuff coming already for auxillary lighting. Deal of the century. But I will wait till it arrives to showcase it. :)

Lets just say 24000 lumens.

cheers

• Like 2

I had a reputable shop look into whether or not the new alternator was actually putting out the amount of amperage it claimed in the ebay ad. 140 amps was claimed, and it actually tested out at about 150!

I started working on Ver.2.0 of the electrical box.

Cheers

• Like 2

Thank you for the Link, much appreciated.

You mean you'll change the wirings to thicker gauge ones for the Extra amperage, isn't it?

Kind Regards

NoNO, they already were rated appropriately.

Simply changing the BOx/size for better fitment under the dash. It is changiug from that yellow box a few pages back, to a 500 cartridge military ammo can. You'll see. :)

Really small runs (length) of wire allow you to utilize a smaller size, guage wise.All of the large wire can still be regular battery cable size. The alternator wires on the stock harness are adequate to carry the load over that distance. I have been doing the math. Fear not, I am taking this seriously :) .

and then relays are another thing. The box itself is Overwired(defenitely larger guage and rating than needed), with relays on every circuit except ECU, CB, and possibly the Wife Eject button(horn :))Depends on how I feel in a couple of days when I tidy it up.

I also got some different Military grade Amphenol plugs from my boss that I will use to seperate the systems.

This will help in all kinds of ways down the road.

Especially isolating systems for troubleshooting. As long as my soldering job goes well, we're good LOL.

cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here ya go Jeszek.

imagejpg1_zps44a8ec41.jpg

imagejpg2_zps0ba822a8.jpg

I am liking V2.0 , It is tighter space which obviously made it more challenging to lay out the wire paths. I also have some Amphenol connectors I decided to use instead of the bulkhead connector.

It should work out. :)

Have plenty more to do. Time is the issue.

cheers

I have cleaned up a few things with the truck, and am just plugging along.

Edited by monstaru
  • Like 2

no, I OCD ALOT! lol

I worked on the rear mount radiator. Got the under the truck pipes, and the flex hose.

Incorporated the battery tray into the radiator mount. I will use battery boxes for protection of the cables and such. I will try to seal them up well.

I am ordering an exhaust header to cut down and use. I went through about 60 bucks in crappy exhaust pieces trying to piece something together. I looked at a ton of different options. I was going to piece it together, then buy SS pieces, and rock it out.

I also have to notch an oil pan, I may have to order another pickup tube that has more of an s-curve for the clearance. But I may be able to get just past the stock one.

Umm, what else.

I also have the ecu mounted up above the steering column now, and have some more wiring layout figured out.

I figured out the color.

My surprise lights were a scam, so I have to wait to get refunded for those and I will by another real auction Light.

anyways, I'll get some pics up this week.

cheers

Edited by monstaru

You might be surprised to at just how bright the lights I added the link to are.  3600 lumens is no joke when it comes to slow night wheeling.  Proper floods for under a hundred bucks a pair.  Mine are due to show up tomorrow.  

I have bought tons of LED stuff for work over the last couple years. Have studied it. Not discounting those lights.

I have just found that cost/value benefit is something to look at for this build. I seriously have not looked at total in about a year. Don't wanna know now.

The thing about it is, how much money do i want to throw down the toilet. We are not the same type of driver. I beat spoob. You don't. Not to say that we don't and Can't wheel the same. You like finesse. I have aggression. I take it out on my rigs.

That being said. I dunno if expensive lights are for me.lol

I am bound to pound.All the pot in the world can't make me mellow. :)

it only evens me out lol

\If AND when I get that dAMNED Lightbar.I will mount it on the truck where I get the most benefit .With the four 27w lights at 1980 lumens each up front, I will be set pretty well. With the other two I already have,( If I don't sell them), will be great rock lights.

I read more than you think.:) As a matter of fact , I proud myself on being a tech guy. The advantage of being able to replace something at a lower cost due to making a line is priceless. It is unlikely that anything I mount will get broken because they are in such random places. BUT

The headlights with protection.........Would have to be head on.

The louvres to the windshield wipers(damn!why can't I think of that word?)LOL......44 inches is perfect size to do what I want. EDIT: COWL :) pirateflippyoffything

I guess my point is that I am not limited on mounting options.I can add more lights without codswalloping up a factory finish.Mines already toast :)

The alternator I bought is perfect for my output with the entire system.

300w light bar

108w haedlights

32w rock lights

5w fuel pump

200w stereo

4w CB

3w interior lights(also LED)

20w CB speaker

160w fans

50w heater fans

ecu like 3w lol

air compressors.hrrmm. between like 12w, and 20w for min to COnstant 100% duty cycle.

905w/12v=75.416amps

with a 140 amp alt., I should be alright.

Those lamps are about 27920 lumens all together.If I need more,, I have a little wiggle room. Thats forward facing lumens at that point.

That does not include the rock lamps. :)

And if ya wanna talk straight lumens. My smaller quad set will put out more than your duece. And really, I Just need them to fill holes in a grill . lol I could have just used the lights I already had. But found some pretty good deals on way more efficient lighting.

so, My four of a kind, beats your pair . :) lol

cheers

Edited by monstaru

Well, they came in the mail. And there were actually 4 lights for 100 bucks.  I misread the description in the auction.  I hooked up two to the heep, and wow, they are tons brighter than my head lights.   I only wheel occasionally at night.  Don't see any need for spots, only floods, cuz it's all done at 2 miles an hour, not worried about out running the lights.  We ran thru Evans at night, and I found that my two 2000 lumen flashlights dialed down to low power were plenty to see me thru the trails.  (I attached them to magnets and stuck them on my fenders)  The other guys had bigger tires and lifts, with lots more lights, including rock lights underneath.  I was still the only one to make it up and over the rock obstacle at the bottom of the big bowl.   :P

I'm looking forward to see the lights in all their glory, just hoping it happens before my 9 year old graduates high school.  lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I made the most biggest stoner move evar! I ordered the wrong exhaust. I have single port heads on my Frankenmotor. ( which is the end all be all motor.)And duals on the 1.8 sitting in there for placement. Not thinking.Comtemplating a lot about exhaust . AND straight up dropped the ball!lolDOH. Thats what lengthy projects do to you I guess.

I NEED the exhaust done to run the radiator lines.

SO yeah, I bought a couple more tools to keep this rolling better. :)

hope to be ordering the stainless pieces I need for to finish the exhaust by the end of this weekend.

I have to cash, and tool up sometimes. :)

cheers

Edited by monstaru
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

nice!  the ultimate in versatility...  probably half of my wheeling is night, but the crap I've got mounted on the roof is just there because I had them on hand and for definitely higher speeds.  lots of wheeling buddies have the LED bars so there's no shortage of light out there.  no need to add to the mix...  yet....

I've got handle bar mounts for my bicycle that hold my flashlights too.

Well, they came in the mail. And there were actually 4 lights for 100 bucks.  I misread the description in the auction.  I hooked up two to the heep, and wow, they are tons brighter than my head lights.   I only wheel occasionally at night.  Don't see any need for spots, only floods, cuz it's all done at 2 miles an hour, not worried about out running the lights.  We ran thru Evans at night, and I found that my two 2000 lumen flashlights dialed down to low power were plenty to see me thru the trails.  (I attached them to magnets and stuck them on my fenders)  The other guys had bigger tires and lifts, with lots more lights, including rock lights underneath.  I was still the only one to make it up and over the rock obstacle at the bottom of the big bowl.   :P

I'm looking forward to see the lights in all their glory, just hoping it happens before my 9 year old graduates high school.  lol

• 1 month later...

Finally took a minute to do some work. Thanks to Gloyale i realized i could still fabricate the single port header on a Dual port head, thanks to the indexing bolt. And Thanks to Northcoast I got some flanges shortly after that revelation.

imagejpg2_zps75303b89.jpg

got this shitbox thrown together. I might even run it! I would like to see it go to an exhaust shop and be made into a header. We'll see if it leaks.LOL I ran out of regular wire, and so I threw some FLUXcore in the machine. I do not miss using it .lol

imagejpg1_zpsa29543bd.jpg

It is pretty ugly, but pretty sure it will work just fine till i decide to pony up for better pieces.:)

cheers

Edited by monstaru
  • Like 2

Thanks guys, It has been/is fun learning how to build stuff.

I have been on hiatus from this for long enough. I went and watcheedd some racing on Saturday and have the itch again.SO during this time I have ordered the wrong header, changed my mind about design ideas about a million times,and figured out what color I want to paint it lol

I made a couple mistakes ordering exhaust, so I threw together a headder from the crap you can buy anywhere. It actually came out pretty good.lol

imagejpg4_zps5a2e342c.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsa29543bd.jpg

I sttill need to address the oil pickup shortening

So, insted oof notching the oil pan I decided to shorten it. It is something that the VW guys do in sandrails, and mainly Vanagon conversions. I got the oil pan figured out today.

imagejpg1_zps354672cd.jpg

bd6d1674e0c003d0706b7c360fa3fdf5_zpse680

imagejpg6_zpsc4e6981a.jpg

Then I changed my mind about the rear mount radiator.

So I started the mounts .

imagejpg4_zps52a88c5a.jpg

imagejpg3_zps9cc04b8f.jpg

imagejpg5_zpsa51c66a8.jpg

It feels good to be making some progress again.

cheers

• Like 4

I feel ya….. I am ALSO wrkn on mine again… FINALLY hooked up some 240v in the shop… Now I have AIR, HEAT, and AMPERAGE!!!! Can run plasma, and welder.. Actually going to wire in a 30a and 50a outlet here in just a few min…. 

Updates in my thread…...

• Like 1