Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Smiley..........

• Please log in to reply
344 replies to this topic

#51 ezapar

ezapar

[OWB]

• 27,111 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Posted Image

Did you build those decals? :Flame:

Yeah, we should make up a Saturday afternoon/evening to hang out and see your stuff.

#52 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,406 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

So, I needed to add accoutrement for shock mounting in the front.
Posted Image
Then needed to start the shockmounts
Posted Image
Then I started the other side, and forgot to seat the pin on the follower:,,,,
Posted Image

Decided to move onto the axle again.
Posted Image
Fingeredd on this being the last mods to the axle before being put together.
Posted Image
cheers

#53 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,152 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

I like the diff reinforcement!

#54 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,406 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

I like the diff reinforcement!

It was a total pain in the rump roast!!! But I like it too :cool:
cheers

#55 Cyfun

Cyfun

Mud Baby

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • Billings, MT

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Holy balls, that axle looks more reinforced than one you'd see on a monster truck!

So what're your plans for an engine? 2.2, 2.5, 2.0 turbo wrx motor, or do you have room for an eg33?

#56 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,406 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Holy balls, that axle looks more reinforced than one you'd see on a monster truck!

So what're your plans for an engine? 2.2, 2.5, 2.0 turbo wrx motor, or do you have room for an eg33?

I have a franken motor going into it.Unless you completely removed the firewall and revamped it, you would not have room for an EG33.

I believe in low power more gears.This is not a mud truck.:drunk:
cheers

#57 Cyfun

Cyfun

Mud Baby

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • Billings, MT

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Ah, good to know. You'd think that if people fit Chevy smallblocks into Toyotas, one could fit a 6 cylinder boxer. I mean... since you're custom fabbing everything, couldn't you just shift everything back a few inches?

#58 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,406 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

Ah, good to know. You'd think that if people fit Chevy smallblocks into Toyotas, one could fit a 6 cylinder boxer. I mean... since you're custom fabbing everything, couldn't you just shift everything back a few inches?

It is the width between framerails.NOt depth.
If a guy were to link the front end it would make it easier,but.....
cheers

#59 Cyfun

Cyfun

Mud Baby

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • Billings, MT

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Ah I gotcha. Didn't realize the EG33 was that much wider. And I suppose if you really wanted the power, you could much more easily drop in a WRX motor since you have plenty of room for intercooler piping. But like you said, a frankenmotor or even just a rebuilt 2.5 would probably fit the bill fine.

#60 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,406 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Ah I gotcha. Didn't realize the EG33 was that much wider. And I suppose if you really wanted the power, you could much more easily drop in a WRX motor since you have plenty of room for intercooler piping. But like you said, a frankenmotor or even just a rebuilt 2.5 would probably fit the bill fine.

I do not think it is necessarily wider.But as it is I have to move the EJ series up above the framerails.And turbo in racing ids awesome,to much to worry about on a trail system....etc.....

The framerals are lke 19" wide-ish...

The EJ is 22"-ish

#61 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,406 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

I got the front shock mounts hard tacked in.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Still need to add some gussets of a sort.
We'll see how the engine fits nowzzz.
cheers

Edited by monstaru, 16 January 2013 - 01:38 AM.

#62 mellow65

mellow65

Subaru, my drug of choice

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

That's what i have been waiting for. :clap:

#63 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,406 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

That's what i have been waiting for. :clap:

:grin:Just say9n...:cool:

#64 jbbvw

jbbvw

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Looking good mang.:clap: Diff looks strong:eek:

Jesse

#65 mellow65

mellow65

Subaru, my drug of choice

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

i wish something like an eg33 would fit in there, because that would be just awesome. But looking at that engine bay you're going to be tight with an ej22. what i was able to do on my mazda was basically put the bottom of the heads right above the frame rail. i just wonder how close that will get you to being lined up.

i ordered a second bell housing from bill, so i'm shoving an eg33 in something, i don't know what yet, but damn it i'll make it fit in something fun. :grin:

#66 Cyfun

Cyfun

Mud Baby

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • Billings, MT

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

i wish something like an eg33 would fit in there, because that would be just awesome. But looking at that engine bay you're going to be tight with an ej22. what i was able to do on my mazda was basically put the bottom of the heads right above the frame rail. i just wonder how close that will get you to being lined up.

i ordered a second bell housing from bill, so i'm shoving an eg33 in something, i don't know what yet, but damn it i'll make it fit in something fun. :grin:

Since he's pretty much having to custom fab everything, wouldn't be that difficult to cut out the existing "frame rails" and make more room. I've been considering doing that to mine anyway just cause they're so weak and I wanna make a full subframe under my car that ties into the bumpers.

#67 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,406 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Since he's pretty much having to custom fab everything, wouldn't be that difficult to cut out the existing "frame rails" and make more room. I've been considering doing that to mine anyway just cause they're so weak and I wanna make a full subframe under my car that ties into the bumpers.

Your still talking unibody.Your going to have to talk live axle for me to be able to understand you.My build man.Don't need ideas.Just spectators;)

I am FULLY aware of what I could do.Hell, I know what I shouldn't do.
The frame is a pretty integral part of the steering setup.ADjusting it just brings more variables.
This is a long term project for me.I will build it until I cannot use a body panel on it.But it will still have that frame until the very end.Adjusting something now for a little more room is luidicrous, when I can flatbelly the truck instead by leaving the framerails alone, and suck my trans and T=case up.
I'll take the flatbelly....Just sayin.

I literally fabricate for a living.Auto stuff is a hobby, but am not afraid to jump down any rabbithole.I have a specific set of ideas that I am working towards.
KISS

I will be able to start looking at mounting the engine as soon as I get off my rump roast to do it.I have a 4 day weekend coming up, that is gonna be awesome !

I shall throw the engine in the engine bay and see exactly where it sits.

Anyone know the natural inclination degree that the EJ motor needs to sit at?
I can eyeball it to my other Subies, but degrees would be awesome!

Things still left to do:
mount bumpstops
final weld additions
assemble and mount front axle
Weld v6 carrier
install engine(build motor mounts)
engine wiring

build t=case crossmember
install seats

I know there is more...
cheers

Edited by monstaru, 16 January 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#68 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,406 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Looking good mang.:clap: Diff looks strong:eek:

Jesse

Yeah, You didna miss much !:-pJust me flailing around the shop like an idiot throwing tube around.It did work out pretty sweet I must say.

I don't think I'll be able to come to the shop this weekend.I'll be down here puttin in time.I'd really like to get that drivetrain mounted!
cheers

#69 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,406 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

Alright Boys.This is where we are at with this....After I show ya some creative nature that I had.I dunno If it is cool , or Awesome.But I am sure it is one of them )
Posted Image
Posted Image

Fuk it right?
Posted Image

Posted Image

%Theclearance issues ensue

Posted Image
You gotta look at that one for a second....

#70 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,406 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

OK, There was interferance as we saw above.The trans was hitting the tunnel, and the engine needed to be up off of the framerails.
Posted Image

Time to cut this out so I can bring UP the whole shebang a skosch
Posted Image

After cutting, and lifting up, cutting and lifting up, massaging areas etc..
Posted Image

It is barely high enough right?
Posted Image
Starter is gonna be RIGHT next to the GO pedal....
Posted Image
So I moved the whole shebang in forward about 6 inches to get the height, and clearance for the shift fork.The starter will be into the firewall a couple of inches but thats it...WHEWW
LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, BOYS AND GIRLS.THE WORLDS(MAYBE)FIRST SUBARU ENGInE INTO A TOYOTA TRUCK!!!
Connected...
Posted Image
Just about axactly the space I need for the header.( I put the block there to keep the engine "flat".
Posted Image

JUST BARELY :headbang::clap:
Posted Image
Posted Image

TIme to move onto the T-case and engine mounts.
cheers:cool::grin:

#71 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Nice....

Is that a factory straight axle truck or swapped??

#72 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Wow. That's crazy. How far do you think you've lifted the drivetrain to get to that point? Hows the clearance at the front?

That's awesome. But makes me really glad I didn't try to do an EG33 into my truck when I did the swap. I knew I didn't have the skills/equipment/space for the fab work to do it, and I massively underestimated how much would be needed.

I raise a glass to you for doing it. :drunk: Cheers!!

#73 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,406 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

Well,I have no idea how the factory drivetrain fit , so I have nothing to have kept me down :)LOL

If it would not have been a factory truck, I might have moved the front axle forward.Still may...:-p
I seem to be able to fab************ now, so I can make a relocation kit pretty easily.

Although working from home is mad slow.When I can use my lunch to cut ************ out ...It is awesome
cheers

#74 ezapar

ezapar

[OWB]

• 27,111 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

What're you doing Saturday? Gonna be out in that shop or what? I got time to make the trip.

#75 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,406 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

I may have to move the axle forward.
After looking at clearance issues with the heads I might even HAVE to Clearance the frame for some exhaust studs...

I am also wishing that I would have just gotten a Toyota motor:grin:
Kidding, Just seeing who is paying attention.
cheers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users