Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing 13" wheels to 14"

heres some 14" Peugeot rims on my wag.

img0048dn.jpg

And with some 15" Peugeot rims

img0049qa.jpg

you can also get some 6lug rims off chevy, mazda, toyota ect. and drill 2 holes to bolt them on. 2 holes line up already/

heres a hatchie i had with some 15" redrilled mazda rims, some cars had 14" 6 lug rims. much easier to find.

img0187j.jpg

I marked where you have to drill in red. its best to use a junk hub or drum with 2 studs knocked out as a guide.

somerthh.jpg

Hope that helps!

Edited by AKghandi

I have a 1981 wagon with 13" rims. They are 4x140 pattern. Does anyone know if I can substitute 14" wheels with a 4x108 pattern?? I would love to find 14" Jackmans, but after an exhaustive search, I have never been able to find any. Thanks, Alex.
To answer your question, 4x108 will not work. Go with the Peugeot wheels if you want to go to 14" or 15".

• 7 months later...

got the same issue/request/desire. trying to get some 14" rims for my Loyale and not sure the best/cheapest way to go about it. i keep hearing peugeot rims for 14" & 15" upgrades, but i'm assuming i'd have to do some wheel-well trimming if i went up to 15" so i'm fine w/ only going up to 14" and getting some off-road tires. i'm mainly planning on using them for beach/sand, so not sure exactly what the best solution is here, if i'm using my Loyale on paved roads most of the time. if i added a 2" inch lift w/ 14" rims, not trimming is necessary, yeah?

sorry to jump on this thread like this, but finally eliminated my tick of Death, so i'm anxious to pursue getting this car beach-ready.

thanks!

you can get tires that don't rub in either size, its just a little less sidewall.  I run 14's with 24.9 inch bridgestones and a couple of winter tires that came on them, and I don't rub.   there are very few actual offroad tires that run 25 inch or under and/or 14 inch rims, so your best bet if you want really good tires is 15 inch rim with some 27 inch tires and a 2 inch lift.  depending on actual tire diameter you may have to trim but I would doubt it would be much at all.  if you want cheap and easy, no lift, 14 or 15 inch pugs, and normal road tires.  subs are light and 4wd so it should do well in most light applications even with less tire than other rigs.

go to the tire manufacturers website and look up the tire, somewhere it will give an actual diameter.  dont trust the numbers on the side of the tire, they are just approximate.

also dont forget chains and cables.  if you want to run chains or cables you have to account for that space.  its not a terrible idea to undersize the tires for commuting and just put on traction devices when you play in the sand.

also dont forget chains and cables.  if you want to run chains or cables you have to account for that space.  its not a terrible idea to undersize the tires for commuting and just put on traction devices when you play in the sand.

Good idea to consider....but I don't believe chain use is common in New York.  They just salt the crap out of the roads.

As for "traction devices" on sand.......worthless.  Chains, Cables, and even mud tires will just digg you in, and get you stuck the first time you hit the skinny pedal. 

You can run completely bald tires in sand as long as you air down to around 10-14 PSI.  Airing down is the key.  So if you are going to the beach, make sure you've got a little compressor with you to air back up to at least 20 before driving on pavement.