Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 legacy Brighton stereo questions

I'm replacing the stereo and speakers in my legacy but I have hit a few snags. I don't know what size speakers to get as I have read in some places that they need to be shallow mount speakers to accommodate for the manual windows going down. The car only has front speakers

I just replaced the climate control unit so I know how to take apart the console and get to the receiver. Unfortunately the new climate control unit has blown bulbs so I will replace those when I open it up for the stereo.

1997 legacy Brighton wagon with manual windows and front door speakers only

Here are my questions:

What size speakers ( 6.5 inch i think) and do they need to be shallow mounts?

Is there anything tricky about replacing the stereo receiver/head unit?

Does anyone know of a good step by step to removing the door panel, especially the window crank?

I have a pair of nice 7 x 10 inch speakers. Can they be fit into the back doors somehow?

Thanks for the help. This site has been keeping my car running and passing inspection for a while now.

You'll need one of these tools to get the window crank off. From there, it's pretty straight forward.

tool2.png

window-crank-w-text-279x300.jpg

I find it easier to remove the door panel when the window is down.

As far as speaker depth, your best option is to remove the door panels, put the window down and measure the clearance between the face of the door panel and the window. The window is what will come in contact with the glass. That measurment will be your max speaker depth. If you want more depth, you can try and use speaker spacers, which allow the speakers to come out further, but depending on the door panel, the speakers may hit the door panel.

I think fitting the 7x10's in the rear doors would be a stretch. You'll probably need to stick with 6-1/2" at the most.

Pretty much any 6.5" speaker should fit in the front doors as long as it is a OE replacement style. I know sony xplods will fit. As for the back you may need to get the spacer/mount for the speakers. Also may require different door cards if you don't have an opening made for them.

Removing the crank handle is quite easy and does not require that special tool. Just grab your smallest flat head screwdriver and push the door card in a bit so you can see the clip. Slide the screwdriver into the loop and lever it out. Just be careful not to damage your door card by putting a gouge in it.

One problem I ran into was the window caught my wires and ripped them off the speaker and out of the connectors. Run your wires so they won't come near any moving parts.

I've also used just a shop rag and kind of fiddled it in behind the window crank and pulled it around until the clip came off, that seemed to work pretty well too. So why did the Legacy Brightons not get rear speakers but the Impreza sedan Brightons did? I feel shortchanged.

If it makes you feel any better my 98 Impreza Brighton wagon has no rear door speakers. It doesn't even have the moulded in plastic grills in the door cards.

Thanks for all the info. I ordered the Sony XS-GT4016F package so when it arrives i will be going at it. The images of the door clip are awesome (I'm a very visual person). Thanks. I replaced the drivers mirror years ago and could not get that window crank off. I ended up pivoting the door panel and just reaching the lowest bolt.

The back doors have a "panel" molded into the door but I'm hoping I can cut out the shape I need with a dremel. I'll have to see whats underneath the door panel to determine if my 7x10s will fit. I'm hoping I can drill whatever holes I need to in the door frame to mount them. I'll try to take some pictures as I go and post them but it may be a week or so since I don't have anything to mount yet.

Thanks again for all the help.

Lots of cutting to make 7x10 speakers fit, and I think the lower mount for the window track is in the way.

To mount 6.5" you'll probably want the factory plastic speaker cups and mounting hardware. Not all aftermarket speakers come with adapters for mounting. The factory cups bring the speakers out 1/4" or so and give some extra clearance between the speaker and window glass and track.

The door panels can be trimmed easily (there is a pattern on the back of the panel) and factory grilles fitted, or just mount grilles included with the speakers.

The hardest part will be getting wires run through the rubber looms that go into the doors. That is, if the wires aren't there already. If they are then lucky you.

I tried the rag trick to get the clip off of the window crank and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip. Getting it back in might not be so easy but that's a problem for later. I might try taking off the rear door panel tonight to see what kind of mess it will be to fit 7x10s in there. If I can't do it then 2 speakers will have to be enough.

Looks like my stereo and speaker are coming the 12th so I will update when I have something worth saying.

Also, do I need an install kit for the stereo head unit or should it fit in without? I have an old after market Aiwa stereo in now and I'm hoping to save $20 and reuse the kit if necessary. I did not order one but I'm sure I could grab one at Best Buy or somewhere locally.

Edited by Nbe1210

No kit needed. The mounting brackets bolt right to the sides of the head unit using the standard screw holes. Just use the right screws and it should work fine. Something you might consider if you haven't done it already, put the dash pocket in the top slot and the head unit under it so you can see the faceplate when the cup holders are being used.

Good idea switching the pocket with the stereo. Whoever designed that cup holder should be beaten up. It blocks the stereo and spills in to the hvac controls (that's why I had to replace them). Good to know the wires are there also. Thanks for the info.

I pulled the rear door panel off just now and the wires are there. Unfortunately my 7x10s fell part as I pulled the grills off to start taking them out of the box. I guess that solves the fitting a square peg into a round hole problem. I don't think it would of happened anyway. The window crank would have hit them even if I could have somehow fit them in. I guess I'll keep my eyes open for some cheap 6.5" speakers. My new stereo and front speakers should be here this week and I will update my progress. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

All done! Here are some pics from the job.

?ui=2&ik=c03d5d1a0c&view=att&th=13b9bf58ffb645e9&attid=0.10&disp=inline&realattid=f_haq07xo79&safe=1&zw

Inside the door after the install. Does anyone know what the wires up near the mirror are for? Power mirrors or door locks maybe?

The factory speaker was in a harness which I reused. I had to shave the inside of the with a knife as the new speaker didn't fit quite right but all ended well. The pics show the before and after with the stock and the new speaker.

?ui=2&ik=c03d5d1a0c&view=att&th=13b9bf58ffb645e9&attid=0.6&disp=inline&realattid=f_haq07xnh5&safe=1&zw

?ui=2&ik=c03d5d1a0c&view=att&th=13b9bf58ffb645e9&attid=0.7&disp=inline&realattid=f_haq07xnm6&safe=1&zw

?ui=2&ik=c03d5d1a0c&view=att&th=13b9bf58ffb645e9&attid=0.9&disp=inline&realattid=f_haq07xnz8&safe=1&zw

This is the new speaker in the factory harness (harness is probably not the right word)

I also installed the head unit under the pocket as was suggested and it works well. I can reach it with the cup holder out and rest my hand comfortably on the shifter. Thanks for the tip.

?ui=2&ik=c03d5d1a0c&view=att&th=13b9bf58ffb645e9&attid=0.11&disp=inline&realattid=f_haq07xoc10&safe=1&zw

And my bored dog

?ui=2&ik=c03d5d1a0c&view=att&th=13b9bf58ffb645e9&attid=0.8&disp=inline&realattid=f_haq07xnt7&safe=1&zw

Thanks for all the tips. It was all very easy.

Two wires in the front upper corner of the door with the small black 2 pin connector is wiring for factory tweeters. You can pick up a set cheap from a junkyard car and just pop them in.

Power mirror wiring has like 3 or 4 wires in the harness with a white (i think) 4 pin connector.

It's usually cheaper for them to have one harness built for several trim levels. Even if they don't use all the stuff in the harness, it's cheaper than building two or three different harnesses. It also makes it easier when adding equipment at the factory. They don't have to run a separate harness for tweeters if the buyer decides to add them as an option when ordering the car.