Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

99 OBW, cig lighter problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,629 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

I plugged my GPS into the cig lighter socket, only to have the socket short out and produce smoke. I replaced the burnt socket and blown fuse, and later realized that the plug unit on the GPS cord shorted out causing the problem.

With the socket and fuse replaced, my circuit tester light tells me that I am now still not getting power to the socket. Replacing the fuse with another good fuse still did not solve the problem.

Any thoughts on what to do next to solve this problem??

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,712 posts
  • Texas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

in addition to the back of the socket itself being fused, I think there's a fuse in the fuse box too.

#3 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,629 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

in addition to the back of the socket itself being fused, I think there's a fuse in the fuse box too.

I replaced the fuse in the fuse box. Is there an in line fuse as well?

#4 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Do the contacts inside the socket look ok? Especially the + connection for the tip? Maybe it melted somewhat and isn't making contact. Or maybe the connection kind of unsoldered itself from getting hot enough.

#5 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,744 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Where are you grounding the meter?
Did you make sure the ground wire connection to the new socket is good? Been a while since I had one of these apart but I do remember there being two plugs that fit the ground terminal, but only one is connected to body ground.

#6 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,629 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Where are you grounding the meter?
Did you make sure the ground wire connection to the new socket is good? Been a while since I had one of these apart but I do remember there being two plugs that fit the ground terminal, but only one is connected to body ground.

It is a two wire connection to the cig lighter. I used a circuit tester light, but could not get the tester to light. I even grounded to a bolt head, but still no light. I connected the two wires to old socket and new socket, and got no power, when I plugged in either the cig lighter or tire air pump, that is when I started looking to see if I had power.

#7 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

If it's a true lighter socket, as a 1999 car would have, it might have a one-time thermal fuse, to prevent a fire in case the lighter doesn't disengage. Although, since there is a mention of a new socket not working, that might have been already ruled out.
There may also be an SBF covering that circuit, but it shouldn't blow before the fuse does. Lastly, if there is an accessory relay, make sure it didn't get cooked. Sorry, the only wiring diagram I can see right now is for Tribeca.

Edited by avk, 04 December 2012 - 01:54 PM.

#8 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,629 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

If it's a true lighter socket, as a 1999 car would have, it might have a one-time thermal fuse, to prevent a fire in case the lighter doesn't disengage. Although, since there is a mention of a new socket not working, that might have been already ruled out.
There may also be an SBF covering that circuit, but it shouldn't blow before the fuse does. Lastly, if there is an accessory relay, make sure it didn't get cooked. Sorry, the only wiring diagram I can see right now is for Tribeca.

After thinking of how to fix this problem, I have come to the conclusion, that it is much easier to just splice into a hot wire, use an in-line fuse on the new wire, then wire that directly to the socket. I will use the existing green colored wire, which is a ground. The heck with trying to trace down relays, thermal fuses, searching for a wiring diagram, and what ever.

#9 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

Just to clarify: the thermal fuse, if present, would be a part of the socket, and a new socket would solve the problem if the fuse is open. But in this case, something else seems to be going on.

#10 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,629 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

Just to clarify: the thermal fuse, if present, would be a part of the socket, and a new socket would solve the problem if the fuse is open. But in this case, something else seems to be going on.

Yea, as the hot wire going to the center post of the socket is dead, as in not carrying any juice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users