Ultimate Subaru Message Board

08 outback Lighter plug always hot?

is there a way to make any of the Lighter Plugs always hot even with the Key off. would be nice to have a least 1 always hot plug for charging cell phones etc...

but I don't want to do massive re-wiring, even the plug in the trunk shuts off with the key.

Prolly the easiest way is to do minimal re-wiring . Tap into a hot line, then run that wire directly to the back of the lighter plug. Use an "in line" fuse on that wire as a safe guard . Use the existing ground that is already connected to the lighter plug to complete the electrical circuit.

You will need to figure out where the screws are, that hold trim pieces in place around the radio etc, that need to be removed. It is not hard work. Just be patient and don't pull too hard on anything plastic, or you will break something.

The only problem with doing that is, a lot of other stuff is on the accessory circuit.

Power seats, heated seats, windshield wipers, radio, etc.

It would be really easy to accidentally drain the battery

Yeah I agree, would like to have only the lighter plug on that's it

The only problem with doing that is, a lot of other stuff is on the accessory circuit.

Power seats, heated seats, windshield wipers, radio, etc.

It would be really easy to accidentally drain the battery

I was thinking of the schematics for Tribeca, which has two accessory relays.

If there's one for everything, that idea may not sound promising.

I'd probably run a fused wire from the hot in the fuse box to the lighter plug with a switch to go between normal and always on operation.

It really wouldn't be THAT hard. Just probe around till you find a hot wire, put a fuse, and run a line to the plug.