Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2012 Outback heated seat question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 powerwagontim

powerwagontim

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Monkton

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

My Wife recently traded her 05 Outback in an an almost new 2012 Outback. Personally I like the extra room and height of the new design. The heated seats will come on, and heat up nicely, then turn themselves off after ten or fifteen minutes. Sometimes they come back on, sometimes they do not. The LOW setting on the switch seems to work the same, maybe it stays on longer, not sure. Her 05 would stay on until you turned them off. The owners manual reads like they are supposed to come on and stay on. She took it into the dealer today and was given the "its supposed to work that way" line.
If it is supposed to be that way, it SUCKS! Just when your butt get nice and toasty, all of a sudden its cold! (Keep in mind I live in the Frozen Northern Wastelands, AKA Vermont)
So, if it is on some sort of timer, why couldnt that be bypassed so when you turn them on they actually come on, and when you decide you are warm enough you turn them off, rather than some engineer deciding my butt is warm enough and shutting it off for me.
Thanks for your advice,
Tim

#2 cal_look_zero

cal_look_zero

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 611 posts
  • Grass Pants, OR

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

http://www.subaruout...-working-2.html

#3 powerwagontim

powerwagontim

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Monkton

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Thanks, I tried the search and didnt find that.
So, anyone tried to subvert the system and put the control back in the sitters hands?
Thanks,
Tim

#4 cal_look_zero

cal_look_zero

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 611 posts
  • Grass Pants, OR

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

It's going to be a heat triggered relay/thermostat, much like a flasher. You can probably find a way to circumnavigate the thermostat to have them on at all times. Heated seat systems are a very basic circuit (I used to have to replace them all the time in VWs)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users